_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
F16XL pics and info help
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi fellows,
I'm looking for info and pics of the most Beautiful warplane ever to leave the ground. First, how many were built ? Second, Did the AirForce take delivery of any or do the still belong to General Dynamics? Third, is there one on a museum hard-stand somewhere in the south-eastern US?
Thanks in advance
Chuck
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
I believe only a couple were made, one in the General Dynamics/USAF markings and another in NASA markings. It was more of a test bed of the concept than a true attempt to create a delta wing fighter from the F-16.
stavka2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

pics of the most Beautiful warplane ever to leave the ground.

The Eagle, yes?

Only 2 F16XLs were built, both made out of Full scale development (pre-series) F16s. One single seater which had the Pratt and Whitney blowtorch and the other a twoseater with the GE engine. They were to be testbeds for various aerodynamic research.

Presently, NASA still has both of them, so you won't be able to find them in a museum.

Here is a link that you might find interesting, it's an F-16 reference site with virtually everything on the F-16 that has long been a favorite of mine.

http://www.f-16.net/reference/versions/f16_xl.html

If you need pics, I have some I might be able to scan and mail to you online.

Cheers,

drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
I may have a picture or 2 of it but I won't be able to do a good search for it until I get home from some surgery in a week in a half or so.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
UPATE

I have been able to find 2 pics. I won't be able to get them scanned before my surgery like I said, but I do know for sure I have at least 2. I will most likely be going to my parent to recover after a couple weeks and may have a couple more pics of it there.

The pics I have can be found in these 2 publications

Fine scale modeler April 1996

World Airpower Journal Volume 36 spring 1999

If you have access to either of these 2 publications you won't have to wait for me. Good luck
stavka2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 120 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
If you need the pics, I have some more in World Airpower Journals from 1995, in which they did a variant briefing, with all F-16s types ever built but I think you'll like the F-16.net site I posted in the previous reply.

Greets,
 _GOTOTOP