_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
The Caribou
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC
I am curious about the availability of kits, in any scale, of the De Havilland Caribou.

I think that there was an old one, in 1/72 scale, and I think that it is long out of production.

I realize that the 'bou is not the most glamourous of transports, and doesn't have the pugnacity or panache of the Herky Bird, but, for all of its basic homeliness, it is still a flying machine with character, much like the Curtiss JN will always be known as Jenny, a girl who might not be the prettiest, but was always the most reliable.

Besides, I saw a few pics of some Caribous which have been modified a bit and are being used in Afganistan(they got new turboprop engines), and are doing a bang up job of it. Here is the article about them:

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-turbo-caribou-is-one-of-worlds-best-and-rarest-airlifters-64504bc767fc
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:56 PM UTC
HobbyCraft has made the Caribou in 1/72 scale. I have their kit #HC1344, yet to be built. It was considered a fine kit back in the day, and is still a presentable offering.

I also have an OzMods resin kit in 1/144, #OM144-1. It is also a very nice offering, and is likely still available.

You would likely have to source the HC kit from a second hand source.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 01:15 PM UTC
If you're brave, OzMods' 1/48 multi-media kit is the most spenldiferous 'Bou ever done. And if you can find a Hobbycrap kit, Plus Model has some detail sets it cries out for. Well, except the engine set.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 02:38 PM UTC
I'm brave enough, but lack sufficient spare funds for the OxMod kit, although it looks wonderful.

What is the price on the Plus Model accessories?

I wouldn't call it Hobbycrap, because even if it is somewhat lacking, it could at least be dealt with to end up with a presentable model.

But for me, the selling point of this is in the first post, with the pics of the modified 'Bous flying support missions in some really hostile territory, and they are painted very prettily.

But then, my uncle used to regale me and my siblings about his time in the Army in the early 60s, and what he did as a mechanic in a 'Bou squadron, and also told me why it was that the Army sold all their Caribous to the Air Force for the princely sum of one dollar(it had to do with the fact that the Caribou has six hard points, 3 to a wing, and my uncle and few bright geniuses got the idea to hang a couple Tiny Tim missiles and napalm on a 'Bou with a pair of 50s for the pilot to have fun with, then gave a demonstration to visiting brass, which included a couple high ranking Air Force officers, who were decidedly less than thrilled that the Army has aircraft with ordinance; something about a violation of the 1947 Key West Agreement )
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 12:42 AM UTC
Amodel makes a 1/144 scale Caribou.

You can get two of them off Ebay for the price of one Ozmods kit. It is an Amodel kit which brings its own baggage, but it looks better than some of the older Amodel kits.
I did a little review on another board

I have one of the Ozmods Caribou kits as well, It's a rather simple solid resin kit. i take it out and look at it from time to times, its almost too pretty to build.
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
"Caribou." A nice 'woody' word...
2002hummer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 812 posts
AeroScale: 458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
Goes with Buffalo, Otter and Beaver, from the extinct worlds best STOL manufacturer DeHavilland Canada.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 11:29 AM UTC
I brought some pictures of the Amodel Caribou kit over from Kampfgruppe144

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
Plus Model sets are available direct from the manufacturer.
The four sets applicable to the 'Bou are
AL7001 US$31.40
AL7002 US$16.00
AL7003 US$28.80
AL7004 US$22.40
(the fourth is a set of freight hold seats which look really neat, but I didn't get to review those )

I quite like the look of that Amodel kit.
 _GOTOTOP