Airfix Fw 190 A-8 1/72
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi, here comes my little 190.
Since Airfix started a new line of products, I was interested in them. Easy to build with some great engineering and quality decals, their Focke Wulf was the one.
Comparing the kit parts with photos, I would say Airfix has done a good job with this kit. The panel lines are too deep for my taste, the kit has a good cockpit,
and great detailed wheel wells. The clear parts are well above the RoG parts, in
the end it went immediately on my bench.

I did not find a review here so i made some sprue shots:

The wheelbay:

The propeller:

The decals:

The first step was to clean the parts in warm soapy water. Construction was straight forward, there are no real problems, the two fuselage parts are warped, but the
plastic is very soft. The instrument panel can be detailed with a decal for the instruments,
The instrument panel sits to far forward. I changed this.
Eduard produces a pe-set for this kit, but it doubles the the price for the kit, in the end, after
The fuselage is closed, only the seat is visible. The instructions are very clear and I followed
them, after the main construction was done I had to fill some gaps, because I glued the
Parts to fast together ( bad habits die hard).

The cockpit, the seat belts are painted Tamiya tape:

The basic airframe, i filled the rips in the fabric parts with a thick colour, the valleys are too deep for my taste.

The gun barrels and the pitot tube looking crude in plastic, i replaced them with a set from Master.

The barrels are open !

I primed the kit with a dark gray acrylic color from Humbrol, it turned out to rough, while sanding it, the paint did not stay on the kit but in the panel lines.

The next step a coat of a self mixed acrylic RLM 74, a tad too dark and a first try with Blue Tack:

The paint job after all, in a lighter fashion:

Decaling in my usual chaos:

For the markings, i ordered a decal sheet from Sky Models for a norwegian based JG 5 aircraft, but it arrived too late, so i did the kit decals, excluding the swastika.
They went on very well, the stencils can be read:

I did not made a black wash for the panel lines the dark base shows trough:

Constuction was straight forward

The paint did not stay long at the touched edges:

The Fuselage mounted Mg 131:

Mg s in place as well the new self made gun sight and the headrest:

The completed underside. The braces to hold the drop tank are replaced with stretched sprue, the ladder, loop antenna, the fan behind the prop came from an older Italeri 190, these kit parts a way too crude, even for my taste:

Here are some pictures from the finished kit,
The aircraft with the snake motive, is from the "Jagdgruppe 10" based at Parchim, Germany
Autumn 1944, i did not found much of this unit, that belongs to the test centre at Rechlin.
It can be true, that these aircraft carry rocket launchers under the Wings.I found only a pic on "Falke 1" with the pilots before it, it shows the three color factory paint was heavily retouched by the mechanics.The fuselage cross can be the low vis gray one too.It is far from perfect as all my kits but, I hope you like it.

All the Best

Bernd
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 07:10 PM UTC
Beautiful build of a beautiful aircraft. Looks great Bernd. Airfix is doing nice things with their new issues.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Julian, thank you. It is good to have Airfix back, these little kits are fun, got some more of this series, may i start a MUCH smaller Typhoon
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 07:31 PM UTC
The 1/72 Typhoon is quite an interesting buy Bernd, good detailing on the wheel wells and gun bays.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 06:41 PM UTC
Good morning Julian, yes its great with a few cuts, you can have a good detailed gun bay, Airfix done a good job on the 190, but i feel their Hurricane I (fabric wings) and the Typhoon are a big improvement.Hopefully they will do some other great kits in the future
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 06:49 PM UTC
Sorry, can t resist to do some compare shots:

The P-47 is a RoG kit and the propeller is a Ju 88 VDM steel propeller from my Ju 88 A-1
panzerman1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 01:39 PM UTC
Great work on the new tooled Airfix kit.
Paint job and finish are top notch.
Bill.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 10:09 PM UTC
Thank you very much for stopping and leave a positive coment on this presentation, working its way down,William.
These simple kits are somewhat refreshing, while a more complex project is on the bench.
Purchased a Airfix Spitfire Mk.II, an early Hurricane I and a Typhoon as well.
The Hurricane and the Typhoon look great in the box, these builds will maybe hit Aeroscale too.

Bernd
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
bernd,
A really excellent build, nicely painted,and decaled. Your corrections and additions where needed does add to the overall look of the finished FW190.

Like you, I thought that the panel lines engraved in the raw plastic looked more like what one sees on a 1/48 scale model, but once painted, they look fine in your pictures. Glad to see that you added the Swastikas to the tail of the aircraft. Without it, it just doesn't look right to this old timer.

My only suggestion, and one I got from several posts here on 190's (since I have no real knowledge of WW11 German aircraft) is that when the canopy is open, the antenna wire should have a rather large sag, so that when closed it's tight. Apparently it's hard wired to the canopy.

Nice comparison picture with the P-47N. One does get a sense of how much bulkier the Jug was to the FW-190.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 06:06 PM UTC
Good morning Joel, thank you for your kind comment.The "sack"
comes from a missing return roller on late 190s canopys, the bubble top (Furchenzieher) canopys didn t have a return roller
at all,it was missing on some earlier ones too,my antenna is from stretched sprue and after a few tryouts i decided to have a return roller :-)
It has full markings,thanks to a Sky Model decal sheet.
Panzercarlos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lara, Venezuela
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 01:18 PM UTC
Bernd!

Very well my friend, I like this Focke Wulf of new tool Airfix.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thank you Carlos, i really appreciate your compliment. If you have one in your stash, have fun with it.It is a very nice kit.

Cheers

Bernd
 _GOTOTOP