_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Fokker Dr.I J.Jacobs - Revell(Eduard) 1/48
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

well at the moment I have a bit of bad luck with my projects, so while waiting for some replacements I started with this one. I ordered the Eduard Zoom set and chose a really simple camo for it. The Engine comes from the Eduard Camel kit.

Originally I wanted to do Jacobs "devil head" machine (I have the Dragon kit in the stash) because it is more colorful. But a friend convinced my that this all black a/c with white crosses is more elegant.

Starting with the kit I must say that I hate the red plastic. Also it has much more flash than the eduard issued kit so for anyone using the PE anyway the Eduard Dual Combo is the better choice. (I just ordered another one, as I have at least 4 more Dr. I on my to build list).

The pit got a layer of Tamiya Buff and a black wash on the fabric surfaces.

Then I used Uschi von der Rostens decals for the wood plates. I sealed it with Klear and some Fleash Wash (Citadel).

more soon.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Maybe it's the result of too long a day at Oxfam, but I can't actually see the wood effect on the kit? (the background's obvious, of course).

I "love" Revell's red styrene NOT! Why do manufacturers continue to think such choices make life easier for modellers?

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Cheers Rowan,

actually it cannot be seen because I did not put in on yet in that photo. And I forgot to take a pic before adding the Flesh wash.

Here it is the lhs fuselage with some more parts added:

the effect of the decal is very subdued (see lower left, where I did not cut it away)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
I have added a few bits in the pit and now it is almost ready to be glued together.

Also I started to paint the wings, just to be sure there wont be hard to reach places later.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2014 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice work - and now I can see wood-grain.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 05:06 AM UTC
Some progress. Fuselage glued together and 2 wings added.

The helling is the same I used for my LvR build last year. I replaced the axle with brass tubing from Albion Alloys and sanded the lower side smooth.

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Steffen

Nice progress. Good to see you've joined the Canvas Falcons 1 campaign too.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi again,

well progress is a little slow, but still not bad for my normal speed. I need to do some masks to apply the white "Balkenkreuze" therefore I bought an Eduard Dual Combo to use the black ones as a guide.

Meanwhile the u/c is attached though not rigged yet and I applied a bit of paint to get rid of the red plastic.

all the best

Steffen
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 01:10 AM UTC
Now that you've applied some primer, Steffen, it looks much less 'cereal box'. I'm glad you are progressing so well. Thanks for posting.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 - 09:41 PM UTC
Cheers Ben,

yes I do not like the red plastic. What a stupid idea by Revell Germany, but in their mind this is a toy which will not be build by many and if built it would most times be unpainted ... yes I know: they've missed the train a loong time ago.

Still Revell have some nice kits in the portfolio from the golden late 90ies era and every umpteenth year they pump out something new in TOTS (even if not WW1, e.g. I like their Ventura)

Back on the model: I had to redo the fuselage seam and added the control surfaces so slim progress today.

all the best

Steffen
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 12:34 AM UTC
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
Karl, is that an NZ based Tripe? Looks fabulous. Any more details?
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl, is that an NZ based Tripe? Looks fabulous. Any more details?

Hi Carl. I photographed it on Saturday at Omaka. It flew twice that day and she is a thing of beauty in the air. The plain black means that telling which direction or at what angle is difficult.

More details when I can.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC
I am struggeling quite a bit to get the white crosses on. It is not that easy to make them look o.k.

I am still not totally happy with them (thus no clear pix to show my fault), but I will live with them to have a chance to finish the kit for Telford. The engine is in too. It needed some adjustment to the PE ang engine but looks o.k. now.

all the best

Steffen
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
As I recall there are White crosses that may suit in the Walthers Train model catalog. I think they are under decals in the search.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Thanks Tom!

Still I will stick with the model as it is now .. just to get something finished. Just two days left, but I will hopefully make it.

all the best

Steffen
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC
Have you tried using white decal material? Print the crosses on a sheet of it and cut it out.

I've used this for whiten skull and cross bones.

very sharp looking Dr.1, by the way, nice choice.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC
Thanks Richard,

might have been a good idea to print a black square with a white cross inside (easier cutting) I have never tried to print my own decals and thus I have no material at hand. I keep that in mind in case the makings bother me in a few weeks.

As I wrote I am pressing things to get some new models done for Telford.

Originally I wanted to do the "Nordwind" machine of Jacobs, but it is not well documented and the more I look at it the better I like this "simple" black scheme.

Today I attached the u/c rigging (twice) and the machine guns... it does not look that bad for the weekend show (I am traveling on Thursday and Friday)

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 03:41 PM UTC
SOOO,

obviously I took s break from the project after the show. Normally I get back with some motivation to build something, but this time I was just exhausted and needed a break.

Now with a few days off I finished this project ...well almost, I saw some missing wires after taking the pictures. But here it is:

Certainly not my best model, but I am happy it is finished and in a week or two I have forgoten some of the things that bother me now.

all the best

Steffen
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Not sure which "things" bother you on your model, cause it looks splendid.
First time i see this model made, and overall,plus the extra detail PE detail, it looks terrific!

Congrats

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 08:41 PM UTC
Thanks Pedro,

you are too kind! I do not want to talk about it, but there are a few things off. The dark weather prevented better pictures which is another thing I do not like. Still it looks good in the shelf and I have the Triplane of the most successful Dr.I pilot (something around 30 of his victories were achieved on the controls of the Dreidecker)

all the best

Steffen

who is still undecided what to build for the Canvas Falcon 1 campaign .. I lean towards Buddeckes yellow Eindecker or Immelmanns Fokker (I served with GAF Recce Wing 51 "Immelmann") but I also have some Schlachtflieger in the stash that must be finished one day... I am also curious what Mirage has coming up next
 _GOTOTOP