_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Painting a P51-D Mustang-Tuskegee Airmen
AlexB1969
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi everyone.

I am painting the interior portion of the Tamiya P51-D Mustang Tuskegee Airmen. I am wondering why Tamiya suggests painting some areas of the interior fuselage in the yellow-green that seem to be hidden once the fuselage is glued together. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Alex
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Because as nice as Tamiya models are, they often get the colour callouts incorrect. The cockpit should be interior green, not yellow zinc chromate.
AlexB1969
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC
This is good information to have. I am also concerned with just how much of the interior fuselage I should paint. Was it all green or was there black for the instrument dials? Even with masking, it's hard for me not to get the green paint on the black and vice versa. Old, arthritic hands. Thanks. Alex
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2014 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

Welcome to AeroScale.

What Jessica said is correct, as far as it goes. All Mustangs had all interior spaces paint Chromate Yellow. Over that, tho, any space that the crew worked and played was re-painted with Zinc Chromate Green, since this was a more durable paint and better able to take the wear and tear of operational duties. This is not to say that it didn't wear

Chromate yellow, by the way is an anti-corrosion covering, much like red-lead on boats or ships.

This means that from the firewall to the back of the fuselage fuel tank the cockpit of a Mustang is Green, while the tail wheel well would be yellow.

Okay? Now, exceptions to the rule..
Tail wheel doors (interior only, right?)could be Green or Yellow, depending on if the painter had a hot date that night

Main Gear wells and doors. These could be Yellow or Green (same reason) or, and I have seen photos of this, bare metal
or worse, somebody painted them interior green, which is a totally different subject

My best advice is CHECK YOUR REFERENCES!! Google Images is a wealth of information.

Your other question was about the Instrument Panel. All Mustangs had flat black instrument panels. The instruments themselves were white numbers on black faces. Side consoles and switch boxes were also black with silver toggles. Levers were either red or yellow depending on function, i.e. landing gear lever is red, canopy release lever is yellow, canopy jettison is red, fuel tank switches are red...you get the idea.

Kermit Weeks (who owns "Ina, the Macon Belle) posted this video about flying the Belle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z1Z-WEZZGM

It will tell/show you everything you ever wanted to know about flying a P-51.

Good luck with your Mustang, and don't forget to post a few pictures when you're done.

Later
AlexB1969
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - 03:02 AM UTC
This is great information to have. With my unsteady hands, it's hard to do some of this minutiae painting. My build is a Tuskegee Airmen plane as flown by Captain Roscoe Brown. To compensate for mistakes, how would you recommend weathering? From what I have read, the 332nd took great pride in their planes and kept them very clean and intact. I have to imagine there was some scuffing and rubbing and some battle damage. I'm used to working on tanks where weathering and battle damage is a bit more free
 _GOTOTOP