_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Airfix 1/24 hawker typhoon?
Aussiepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 02:13 PM UTC
hi guys,
Just been thinking about whether or not I should buy the airfix 1/24 scale typhoon or not, I believe that I have the skills and patience to make it (all I have been making lately are old airfix kits, and am experienced when it comes to fiddly parts, and have read reviews but, am not sure. Any suggestions?
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 03:00 PM UTC
I've seen it advertised from $120.00 through $151.00Cdn. That's a very small price to pay for a big box of term enjoyment. It just boils down to what scale you prefer to build in, and if you have the display room.

Go for it, and show your work right here on AeroScale.
Aussiepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen it advertised from $120.00 through $151.00Cdn. That's a very small price to pay for a big box of term enjoyment. It just boils down to what scale you prefer to build in, and if you have the display room.

Go for it, and show your work right here on AeroScale.

Thanks Ben, I've been wanting to make a big scale plane kit for a couple years now. But with limited money (I am 15) I have not been able to fulfil that dream. Ever since Airfix announced their kit, I have been saving up my money to buy it.
In terms of my scale preference, I usually build 1/72 scale kits,
Thank you for replying and I will show it on aeroscale
Cam
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 05:37 PM UTC
Get it, you will not regret it
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi Cam

I built the old Airfix 1:24 Spitfire, Bf 109E and Hurricane when I was 14 or 15 years old and thoroughly enjoyed them. The new Tiffie looks to be in a different league (I haven't had a chance to get one), so you should find it a really fantastic build! Just take your time and enjoy every stage.

All the best

Rowan
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:42 PM UTC
I have a pair of them. I wouldn't recommend it for you. Large scale planes are a totally different beast from 72nd scale kits - especially old ones. The Airfix instruction are especially bad for being vague and most part fitment isn't great and the locating pins aren't especially positive (sturdy).

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just don't want to see you spend all of your hard earned money and end up disappointed or frustrated.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2014 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Airfix instruction are especially bad for being vague and most part fitment isn't great and the locating pins aren't especially positive (sturdy).

The Airfix Typhoon is not like this at all, the fit is wonderful. It is a complicated model but the instructions do walk you through the build; take your time and study them and you should have no major problems
 _GOTOTOP