_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Early years
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:37 PM UTC
I don't know what came over me...but I caught myself getting all misty eyed with nostalgia, thinking back to when I first started modelling (Gladiator's helmet and corsets and the occasional knitting pattern) back in 1955.
I was around 5 years old when my dad got me my first kit. An Airfix Spitfire in pale blue plastic. I think now of how I enthusiastically butchered it. No paint...oh no. Glue and finger print camouflage scheme. Decals, I remember simply cutting them out with kitchen scissors and gluing them with the backing sheet direct onto the kit. What?...I'm supposed to wet them? Well they stayed put and stood up to the flying around the garden that celebrated its completion. Many more kits followed and eventually got to be made a fair bit better than that first Spitfire.
Anyone got the nostalgia bug?

A wing waggle to all.
sgtreef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
AeroScale: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
Yep remember my first kit a lindburg spitfire with a tube of glue to hold it together could never figure out why those wings would not stay glued after all I did use half a tube of good ole testors on each one but only the melted plastic would not hold strange I tell you goosh darn it whole thing cost .60 cents including the kit or was it .75 cents for model and .10 for glue #:-) #:-)
Never built more after that. #:-) (++)
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Sarg.
Happy days.
Peter
If only a beer was to be had in Saudi.
antoniazzip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aragua, Venezuela
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
I remember when I began to arm kits, I armed at least 5 and until more for day but without paint, they were good times and your writing took me until that time, I enjoyed it a lot, I remember that my first models were Matchbox in 1/72.

Thank you for the memory, greetings from Venezuela.
Leal Antoniazzi Pedro
[email protected]
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
:-) My first ever kit was an Airfix Spitfire. I don't know how old I was, but my brothers and I ended up with what seemed like the whole Airfix catalogue. I fondly remember applying plenty of glue, and the glue fingerprints. We used to paint ours and apply the waterslide transfers after letting them all float off in a saucer of water (the silvering add a nice touch). Start to finish in a little over the time it took for the paint to dry. I remember having built a bristol fighter and managing to glue the pin into the prop, without gluing the prop to the nose. This became my favourite, for a time, because running with it, in flying attitude, or holding it into the wind, caused the prop to spin :-) Cool or what. I also remember destroying all those wonderful models with fireworks and an air rifle
Mal
Remember, you just can't have to many Spitfires.
 _GOTOTOP