_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
LUFT 46...WHAT AGAIN?
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:05 PM UTC
I know its probably an old chestnut, but anyone interesred in Luft 46 stuff?
I like all the subjects we find on Armorama and admire anything from armour to ships, and love WW2 and early jets in general but I do find Luft 46 projects fascinating. I realise many people poo-poo this subject as most were just concepts on paper at worst and mock-ups and wind tunnel models at best with a few exceptions that actually saw a little light of day. But most modern aircraft have some lineage to what the Germans had potentially up their sleeves.
One thing about modelling Luft '46 is that as long as the basic rlm colours are kept to, camouflage schemes can be experimental too.
Cheers and wing waggles.
Peter
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
:-) Peter, I like the 46 stuff, but there are so many aircraft that I would like to model from WWII that I have to draw the line somewhere. Having said that if there any in 1/48 scale I might just have a go. Like you I like the idea of having my own colour scheme :-)
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
I do some luft 46 stuff, but mostly the paper panzers. Fictional Panthers mostly.
DML did a bunch of 1/72 stuff that I picked up at 50%off when a shop went belly up that I still have in the stash as well.

Mike
sphyrna
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
I visit the Luft 46 website occasionally - I like the designs but have such a huge stack of unfinished models that I won't even give thought right now to building something
I think it's the 183 Volksjager (?) -small oneseater with the jet engine on it's back - That's one of my favorites.
I moight however breakdown and buy the Amtech Ta-183 Huckebein - I've heard it's a great kit.

Peter
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi Peter

I think all the paper projects - Axis and Allied - are fascinating!

I've got the AmTech Ta183 half-built somewhere... it s nice (but the X-4s are a bit crude).

Maybe we should have a WW2 '46 group build one day, so we can let our "educated imaginations" run wild!

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:47 PM UTC
Thanks guys.
I'm glad I'm not alone.
For Holdfast, there are 1/48th Luft 46 kits now available from Planet, Aerotech and as Merlin points out by AmTech. There are others.
For Sphyma...There were many concepts that featured the engine mounted "piggy-back" fashion but I think you're reffering to the Heinkel 162. A large part of it was made from wood like the DH Mosquito, but the adhesives were crap and had the little thing falling apart mid-air apparantly.
The Russians experimented with a similar design after the war, but don't know what became of it.
Tally Ho!
Peter
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi again Merlin,
As I'm relatively new to the site and I'm locked away in Saudi for most of the year, could you please explain what a group build is?
On the face of it I can imagine you doing port wing, me doing the tail, somebody else doing the cockpit etc and somewhere some unfortunate soul trying to put it all together.
But I really think it's when we all get the same kit (?) and collectively show our results...???
What the smeg...I'm up for it...when I know for sure what it is.
Cheers
Peter
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hey guys i'm into luft '46 as well. I have a couple of the amtech Ta183's around and i also have Tamiya's sleeper release of the DO335B2 the one with the monster 30mm in the wings. Mal thats a great kit in 1/48th!!!!!! BTW any of the Tamiya 335's will work for Luft '46 as they were in the test flight stage by the end of the war. STUG
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
HI ROWAN.
NOW THAT I UNDERSTAND THE INS AND OUTS OF "GROUP BUILDS", THANKS TO MR ROO, I'M UP FOR A LUFT 46 GO.
DO YOU THINK WE'D GET ENOUGH FROM SITE TO BE INTERESTED?...OR ARE WE AN ALIENATED BUNCH ON THE FRINGES?
LET ME KNOW IF YOU FANCY A LUFT 46 GROUP BUILD, I'M IN.
CHEERS
PETER
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DO YOU THINK WE'D GET ENOUGH FROM SITE TO BE INTERESTED?...OR ARE WE AN ALIENATED BUNCH ON THE FRINGES?

Hi again Peter

As I understand it, any number (above 1 ) can count as a "group". it's just a bunch of people building to a theme and posting in a forum. It's not as formal as a Campaign - but less management involved.

I've too many builds lined up this Spring to take on anything new, but I'd certainly join in later in the year. I'd suggest making it an all-nation build, so we can get some great aircraft like Spitefuls, Vampires, P-80s and Shindens etc. in on the act ... as well as all the juicy German designs.

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Merlin,
you are thinking along the same lines.
I've posted thoughts in campaign section.
Basically I was thinking WW2 1939 to end of Korea 1953 for all Nations, to broaden the appeal.
If the first part of the year is busy, how about setting it up for around mid year? or Autumn?
So far, including yourself, there's three of us.
Keep in touch.
Peter
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2004 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

how about setting it up for around mid year? or Autumn?

Hi Peter

That sounds perfect - count me in! Last night, I ordered Fine Molds' Nakajima Kikka from Hobby Link Japan, so I might just build that...

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP