_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Hasegawa Decal Disaster
Blespooky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 - 11:23 PM UTC
1/72 Hasegawa B-25J

The decal disintegrated and yellowed as seems to happen to Hasegawa decals (I was able to use the cockpit panel decal successfully).

Here is the problem, I should buy an aftermarket decal sheet, but the B-25 is already painted in the "Miss Behavin" scheme (Yellow around the engines and white wing tips) and all of the aftermarket decal sheets are for different paint schemes.

What do you suggest?

Thanks for the help,

Bryan
lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 12:22 AM UTC
You can apply Superscale Liquid Decal Film to try to reinforce them a bit before applying, and either use a spare US star to replace the disintegrated one, or mask & paint it.
OR, you can create a fictitious aircraft - one that is generic, but perfectly believable. What if another crew had liked Miss Behaving´s scheme so much that they simply copied it, or if it was a squadron common scheme? What if that ''generic'' aircraft did actually exist, but no one shoot a photo at it?

Oh BTW, the little portion of your work that is visible in the photo looks great.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 12:57 AM UTC
Bryan,
The only time I've ever had that issue is with very old and brittle decals. I store all my decal sheets in plastic zip loc bags with as much air removed as possible.

If it's just the Stars and Bars, you can get replacements from just about any decal sheet. If it's stenciling, numbers, & tail codes, they're all standard WW11 sizes and fonts, and again, there are numerous aftermarket generic sheets. That leaves just any nose art. If you haven't tried to apply the decal yet,here's a few products and methods that do work.

for yellow decals I've heard of this fix: Try taping the decal to the inside a sun-facing window with a piece of cardboard as backing. That will keep the sheet flat and support it at the same time. After a few days the yellow will start to disappear. The degree generally varies, but less is better in this case.

To avoid cracking issues of old,dried out decals, where you can see or not see the cracking, you can check for cracking issues with any form of magnification. If you do find cracks, or don't want to take chance of the decal falling apart in the water bath,you can apply a protective clear coat.

Microscale has Liquid Decal Film which has the thickest protective coating, and usually just one coat will do it. Another use for Pledge/Future is a diluted solution brushed on the decal. I would use a 50/50 mix, and apply 2 coats on a test decal.

One thing I do with old decals is to test them before the build if there is a particular decal that isn't replaceable.

Joel
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 02:02 AM UTC
Yep, the decals on a sunny window trick works like a charm. I just bleached all the yellow out of an old MicroScale sheet and it took about 5-6 days here in Florida with very sunny conditions. Depends on each case.

Superscale Liquid Decal Film works great too as previously posted but that fragmentation happens only to very old decal sheets.
Blespooky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
1/72 Hasegawa B-25J

Thanks for the replies, I had to breath into a bag for a while in order to calm down. Joel, I had been keeping the decals in a hardcover book and the instrument panel went on fine. I get the feeling that the kit was on the shelf for a long time before I bought it. As you suggested, I looked at some of the other larger markings and they do indeed have little cracks in them.

As this is a long term project it is worth investing in some brand new aftermarket markings. I found a sheet from Kitsworld for a plane with a identical paint scheme and great nose art: "Heavenly Body"

Thanks for the help

Bryan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2014 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1/72 Hasegawa B-25J

Thanks for the replies, I had to breath into a bag for a while in order to calm down. Joel, I had been keeping the decals in a hardcover book and the instrument panel went on fine. I get the feeling that the kit was on the shelf for a long time before I bought it. As you suggested, I looked at some of the other larger markings and they do indeed have little cracks in them.

As this is a long term project it is worth investing in some brand new aftermarket markings. I found a sheet from Kitsworld for a plane with a identical paint scheme and great nose art: "Heavenly Body"

Thanks for the help

Bryan

Bryan,
Glad that you were able to find an AM sheet. I've bought a set of decals from Kitworld for my P-38L build,and they look great.

BTW, your B-25 from what I could see of it looks really well done. Please post some pictures in the WW11 forum when you're ready.

Joel
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bryan,
The only time I've ever had that issue is with very old and brittle decals. I store all my decal sheets in plastic zip loc bags with as much air removed as possible.

If it's just the Stars and Bars, you can get replacements from just about any decal sheet. If it's stenciling, numbers, & tail codes, they're all standard WW11 sizes and fonts, and again, there are numerous aftermarket generic sheets. That leaves just any nose art. If you haven't tried to apply the decal yet,here's a few products and methods that do work.

for yellow decals I've heard of this fix: Try taping the decal to the inside a sun-facing window with a piece of cardboard as backing. That will keep the sheet flat and support it at the same time. After a few days the yellow will start to disappear. The degree generally varies, but less is better in this case.

To avoid cracking issues of old,dried out decals, where you can see or not see the cracking, you can check for cracking issues with any form of magnification. If you do find cracks, or don't want to take chance of the decal falling apart in the water bath,you can apply a protective clear coat.

Microscale has Liquid Decal Film which has the thickest protective coating, and usually just one coat will do it. Another use for Pledge/Future is a diluted solution brushed on the decal. I would use a 50/50 mix, and apply 2 coats on a test decal.

One thing I do with old decals is to test them before the build if there is a particular decal that isn't replaceable.

Joel

What would you dilute Future with for a 50/50 mix?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 11:48 PM UTC
Another vote for Microscales liquid decal film. Tamiya's 48th scale G4M was notorious for bad decals. Mine shattered, I bought a set off a guy on the forums. I used the liquid decal film - it is exactly that, it's a new clear carrier film. It worked perfectly (I used most of the decals off of my original sheet as the guy I got the decals from had used some of them)
 _GOTOTOP