_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A “Classic Build” of a 1911 Deperdussin Type
Removed by original poster on 11/04/14 - 00:43:00 (GMT).
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 02:22 AM UTC
Awesome article. Having seen the movie X exponent X times, I have to slightly differ with the reviewer on the airplanes.
1. The Bristol Boxkite was used as the Curtiss (which really pissed me off because there were several replica Curtiss D's available at the time) (I was 15, and knew this)(a true nerd perhaps).
2. The Martine-Handesyde was called the Antoinette (which the MH was a close copy of).

So actually, All the aircraft models were in the movie only the Demoiselle was absent from the models.

Truly an excellent and silly film.
An excellent review.

The nitpicking is my own. They were then fed to the birds
Enjoy

Captn Tommy
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 08:26 AM UTC
That was a pretty cool article. I have some of those old boxings in my stash. Heavy nostalgia value; never built one. Amazing to see that the inverted # 1 was accurate!! Too funny. Thx for posting the link.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 09:16 AM UTC
Interesting looking models. Nice to know that Lindberg have reissued them so I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi Group,

I mistakenly deleted this yesterday - sorry. Here it is again:

This is a build review of the vintage Pyro/Life Like 1/48 1911 Deperdussin Type A Monoplane. It is on the site Old Model Kits, which kindly loans vintage models and box art for Aeroscale walks down nostalgia runway.

1911 Deperdussin Type A Monoplane
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Fred

Nice one! I bought the Martin-Handasyde back in the early 1970s from a local corner-shop. Sadly for me, it was the only one of the series they had in stock (and I never found the others on sale elsewhere), because I thought it was a great kit and made a really nice change from my usual models. I'm very tempted when I see them every so often on E-Bay.

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Fred

Nice one! I bought the Martin-Handasyde back in the early 1970s from a local corner-shop. Sadly for me, it was the only one of the series they had in stock (and I never found the others on sale elsewhere), because I thought it was a great kit and made a really nice change from my usual models. I'm very tempted when I see them every so often on E-Bay.

Lindberg released the Bleriot, Deperdussin, Avro Biplane and Martin-Handasyde this past summer so I snapped the ones I didn't already have up. With my previously (€x₱€n$iv€£¥) sourced Bristol Boxkite and Avro Biplane, I've got the whole range apart from the Avro Triplane. Maybe someday some kind person will sell me theirs...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi Jessie

I haven't seen them over here in the UK yet. Of course, the re-pops don't have quite the same nostalgia factor. I bought a vintage Pyro Flycatcher recently, and part of the joy is that it's a kit that I literally could have found on the shelf in my LHS when I was a kid.

I know - thinking like that is a sure sign that I'm getting old!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP