_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
questions about the WWI Sopwith camel
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 06:44 AM UTC
I received a Sopwith camel kit from a friend of mine as a gift.I kit is 1/20th scale with a wing span of 15.5 inches.It is a very nice kit mainly a multi media kit. the problem I'm having is the color scheme itself. The painting instructions states that the fuselage is to be a cream/light brown or tan color and the wings,tail and rudder are to be a yellow color. Has anyone known of the Sopwith camel to have marking such as these?
Does anyone know what squadron this plane was in service at the time of WWI?
Was it a trainer for the younger pilots?
Any information would be a huge help since I am mainly a novice in this category. Thank you
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC
Sounds like an unusual scheme. The usual basic colours would be khaki/brown uppers with a grey or alu cowling. Undersides would be natural linen. Any chance of seeing some pics of the kit and painting instructions?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
From the Laws of Modeling 101 . . .16.) The kit color instructions, may be very interesting, but are 95 % of the time irrelevant.

Whats the kit manufacturer and yes please images of the box & kit in general would help. But it sounds like this AP kit.

While fanciful it was not a front line BEF scheme. Trainers assigned to instructors were pretty colorful but this one you describe I find unlikely to be a real example. The stylized "J" was seen on a 139th RAF Camel in Italy
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hey thanks everyone now I know not to get it.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
How much is it if you don't mind me asking?
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 01:04 AM UTC
It looks pretty good... If it is a kit don't be put off by the scheme. It looks correct scale and detail wise. If it is a kit paint it as you like it. If it isn't styrene plastic prime is with a good model primer (after soap and water washing. The size is nice.

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP