_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Picked up a model of a Seabee
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:36 AM UTC
Recently, I bought a 1/48 scale model of a Republic Seabee amphib. It was in Ebay, and not being that familiar with the fact that there are other kit manufaturers who offer this particular aircraft, I put my bid and won.

What I got looked like a Seabee, except there were no windows, just raised lines to denote where they are supposed to me. The brand is Pegaso, a Mexican manufacturer.

And, as is my custom, I also bought as much documentation on this as I could, including a set of scale drawings by Paul Matt. The drawings are 1/48, so I was able to compare model to drawings. When the fuselage halves were fitted together, it was very apparent that while it looked like a Seabee, when measured, the fuselage was at least an eighth of an inch too narrow. Even the window outlines were off. And the nacelle, while of the same general shape, was a quarter inch too narrow when compared to the drawings.

So, if I want to build this as a reasonable scale project, not only will I have to cut the windows out, not much of a problem, but I'll also have to make the silly thing a bit wider, including the nacelle, and that'll take card stock.

One thing I do have coming is something I've found useful as a real life mechanic. The IPC, or illustrated parts catalogue. This shows on an airplane where everything goes, and, as a model maker, this comes in handy. And I'm getting one for the Seabee.

So it looks like I'm in for some fun.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 07:46 PM UTC
I love the Seabee, I have the clear glencoe version which I think could be the same mold as its also too narrow.

I was going to correct the dimensions and then do a resin mold of it but things have got a bit stupid in my life lately and modelling has taken a back seat for 6 months.

paul
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 08:42 PM UTC
Sure sounds like you've got one heck of a project on your hands, as nothing is nearly right about this model.

I always Google up reviews on every model I'm buying on or off line. Even at my LHS, I google up a kit that strikes my fancy. More then once I've put it back on the shelf as there is a better offering, or it's really not what I want.

Joel

maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:25 PM UTC
I googled it, and couldn't find a one about it. So, I decided to take a chance.

Yes, I'm in for a lot of work, as some of the windows have more than one kind of curve.

Prior to this, I had thought that the Seabee was one of those birds that wouldn't be kitted, because it's not a sexy and/or famous bomber, fighter, or other famous flying machine(wasn't aware of Glencoe's offering).

But, other than the outline of the fin and rudder on one half being totally wrong(something which seemed odd), as well as the stab and wing being a tad smaller when compared to the Matt drawings, and the fuselage being a bit thinner that it is supposed to be, and the fact that there aren't any openings for windows, it is not a bad kit.

Right now I'm not going to start on it because I want to look at the IPC a lot before I do, and that should arrive in the mail any day now.

One cute addition to this kit is the "diorama" that was included. This consists of a couple piece of thin cardboard, one with water(and some waves) printed on it, the other with the various pieces of a dock and a fence printed on it, all in color.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2014 - 09:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I googled it, and couldn't find a one about it. So, I decided to take a chance.

Yes, I'm in for a lot of work, as some of the windows have more than one kind of curve.

Prior to this, I had thought that the Seabee was one of those birds that wouldn't be kitted, because it's not a sexy and/or famous bomber, fighter, or other famous flying machine(wasn't aware of Glencoe's offering).

But, other than the outline of the fin and rudder on one half being totally wrong(something which seemed odd), as well as the stab and wing being a tad smaller when compared to the Matt drawings, and the fuselage being a bit thinner that it is supposed to be, and the fact that there aren't any openings for windows, it is not a bad kit.

Right now I'm not going to start on it because I want to look at the IPC a lot before I do, and that should arrive in the mail any day now.

One cute addition to this kit is the "diorama" that was included. This consists of a couple piece of thin cardboard, one with water(and some waves) printed on it, the other with the various pieces of a dock and a fence printed on it, all in color.

hi,

can you post some pictures of the kit and diorama, not seen that one before.

cheers paul
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
Sure.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC
I shot the pictures, loaded them into my machine, then loaded them into my photobucket account, then tried to post here(never did this before). Found out I was supposed to subscribe, and, fortunately for me I had sufficient funds, but now I am at an impasse, as I can't find the relevant icon to load the pics here.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
The Icon is bottom right of the reply screen, look for [img]
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 08:36 AM UTC

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 02:25 PM UTC
thanks, yes that looks like the glencoe mold except they used clear plastic for the whole kit.

cheers paul
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 04:18 PM UTC
Ok.

_GOTOTOP