_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Canvas Falcons I - WNW Fokker Eindecker
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi all

My entry for the Canvas Falcons I: 1914-15 Campaign is the Wingnut Wings Fokker E.II/III (Early).

After building anything for months, this should be something of a shock to the system. I've cleared away the cobwebs in the disaster area that I call my workroom, and the kit looks to be the way I left it after doing the In-Box Review a while ago.

The first job was to clean any mould lines off the interior parts (painting may reveal a few more to take care of), and generally get a feel for how they dry-fit together. It's tempting to replace the moulded pipework with wire:

If I get a chance in the next day or two, I'll see if the airbrush still works and begin throwing some paint around.

All the best

Rowan
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 03:25 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby

Seriously, an interesting choice. The eindecker had rigging even though there is only one wing, right? Sounds like a challenge.

Looking forward to follow your build.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - 06:18 PM UTC
Nice to see you building a rag wing Rowan , be following along

Terri
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
Cheers Jesper and Terri

It's good to be building again - but I know I'm in for a challenge, because this will take me into some personally uncharted territory.

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Beauty Rowan! Looking forward to what I'm sure will be an excellent build!

Michael
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 10:46 PM UTC
Hi again

I had a chance to tinker with the kit for an hour this afternoon and tackled the task that I've been rather dreading - removing the beautifully moulded compass from the wing root. This is about the only aspect of the kit that I'd have liked to see designed differently, because it's asking for damage to the nearby detail. A separate part would be so much easier.

Still, I think I got away with it, although where I've sanded and polished away the compass is shinier than the surrounding area. Hopefully that'll even out under a coat of paint:

And talking of painting, I sprayed the first basic colours onto the interior parts. It always feels like a build is coming to life once I crank up the airbrush.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 04:58 AM UTC
I think you did pretty good removing the compass . If you think this will help slap down some mr. surface and sand that area with a scotch brite pad . It will not remove any moulded detail but it will smooth out the area and blend this in better .

So how much out of the box is this going to be ?

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:29 PM UTC
I'm watching with great interest Rowan, I have one of these so I'm going to see how you get on before starting mine I nearly said that I would eat my shorts if you ever finished this but its not beyond the realms of possibility that you will actually finish it! Seriously though its nice to see you back at the bench
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:51 PM UTC
Cheers Terri and Mal

I will keep it pretty much OOB, or I'll only get bogged down - the various wood, canvas and metal finishes, plus (of course) the rigging, will be quite enough to keep me busy.

Yes, Mal, with Wingnut Wings' reputation for excellence, this one should be infinitely more buildable than that nightmare Halifax! (I still kept it when I moved down from London, though, so... one day... ).

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC
So, any updates or are you slacking already!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Not slacking - just no time, due to working at Oxfam all weekend. I found a few minutes earlier to do a little bit to the engine, but this week's looking to be pretty much a write-off through pressure of work.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
Watching this one with interest and a little envy.
This ones going to be good!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2015 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi again

Fear not at the lack of updates if you thought I'd lost interest already! (It has been known... )

Health problems with my elderly Mum (plus pressure of work) kept me from working on the build before Christmas, and the loss of my camera's memory card means I have to do a rapid about turn and build a kit that I'd planned to In-Box Review! That'll teach me to save the photos as I take them...

So... my Eindecker is temporarily on forced hold - and it's damned frustrating, because I have a neat plan I wanted to try out on the machined metal effect - but I promise (or threaten), in true Arnie-style: "I'll be back..."

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP