_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Finished: Smer Fokker E.III
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC
I'm close to adding the finishing touches to my Smer 1/72 Fokker E.III (reboxed Eduard). It's been a fiddly little bugger and I tried out a few new techniques, so I'm eager to share some pics and get a critique.
In short it the first model I've tried a pre-shade to show the ribs and fuselage structure under the linen, first rig, and lastly first time I'd used a PE gun barrel as the kits solid plastic gun was unconvincing.
Still got a few touch ups and I've got to add the airspeed instrument to the upper left wing, but it's not turned out too bad.
Thanks for looking and let me know your thoughts.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC
Really a nice looking model to my eye, Stephen; perhaps the rigging wire is a little out of scale. Are the wheels supposed to be splayed like that? I'm no expert on the subject.

All around, its a fine model and I think you've done a wonderful job.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Nice job! Smer are re-boxing Eduard? They are seriously moving ahead - I always associate them with old '60s and '70s re-treads.

All the best

Rowan
lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Very nice bird! I agree with Ben in that the rigging seems a bit thick, but nonetheless it looks great. I miss the tail cross, though. Sigh...

So Smer is reboxing Eduard's kits... when Tamiya reboxed Italeri kits, you could go to the shop and find the same plastic in two different boxes, the japanese one with a noticeably increased price. I wander if, for the same logic, we can expect Eduard plastic to be offered at MUCH lower prices under Smer label.

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 03:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
I was pleasantly surprised at finding an Eduard in the box. I got it cheap in a shop on holiday a couple of years ago. I expected some old Heller kit in the box. I believe their Albatros DV is also Eduard, but not sure about the Fokker Dr1 in the catalogue.

Ben, the rigging line I used is a thin sewing elastic. I have some thinner mending thread which would have been more in scale but I had some trouble getting it to stick firmly even with superglue. It just popped out when I pulled the lines tight. The elastic seemed to have more 'grab' and being stretchy I could pull the line tight with no sagging. Looking at it I could have pulled it tighter to get a better scale thickness, but I didn't want to put too much strain on the attachment point on the upper A-frame. I had to scratch that from a small piece of heat stretched tube with wire loops stuck in each end. It still amazes me that I was able to do the whole rig from one length of line threaded through all the holes and attached to the undercarriage legs.
The wheels do look splayed, this was because the glue wasn't fully set and they moved a little during the photographing. I straightened them out when I noticed and left it to set on a paint tin.
Fun build and I'll be having a go at another rig at some point.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 04:26 AM UTC
Great work Stephen!
 _GOTOTOP