_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Progress Update Anyone - Helicopters
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:48 AM UTC
Just curious, anyone here working on the 1/35 Apache or Black Hawk / Pave Hawk models at this time? What'cha think so far with these kits?

Gunnie
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
I've never had any luck with helo's but there's an extensive review of the 1/48 Apache Longbow (PT23) by Hasegawa in this months FSM.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
I'm hearing Hasegawa's 1/48 copter is awesome. Wish it was 1/35 scale...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:19 AM UTC
From what I hear, the Hawks are lacking. Too bad they're not the same quality as the Cobra, Kiowa or Hueys.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:25 AM UTC
Yeah Sabot - that's what I'm intrepreting from some sporadic belly-aching at rms. No matter, we're model builders after all - I'll cut into it!

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:03 AM UTC
The problem is that aircraft modelers are a pickier bunch than tank builders. Even Cookie Sewell makes the observation that aircraft are replaced by more high tech kits frequently and armor kits tend to stick around for decades. This is a kit where the two genres converge, a 1/35 scale helicopter appeals to us because we can use it with our M998s, M1A1s and other modern US vehicles. The aircraft modelers get it because it's new and big and generally a cool kit. They are the ones panning it. Of course, the actual pilots of the real things are complaining about lack of interior detail, ash tray missing, etc.
I do not know how the actual thing builds. I only care that it "looks" like a Black Hawk and fits properly.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not know how the actual thing builds. I only care that it "looks" like a Black Hawk and fits properly.

Me too - I feel confident I can overcome the shortcomings, so much so I have all the 1/35 helicopter releases. I use to be an aircraft builder too, but don't remember ever being that picky - I was just thrilled to have a favorite subject to build in plastic.

Gunnie
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hey Gunnie,
Ive build both the BlackHawk and PaveHawk. Like the guys say, it lacks a lot of detail. It is deffinatly no a kit for the beginner. I could of taken some time and corrected all the missing items but I just wanted it off my work benc and on the shelf. Im just starting the IMEX 1/35 Apache. It too, is ok out of the box, but lacks just a little bit. Im going to start another Black Hawk and convert it inta a K version for another Somalia dio like I intended the first time. I just wish that there was some good figures for it like a complete crew and or some soldiersfor the back. I have a couple of pictures of the Hawk and Ill send them to Jim to post.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC
Thanks Epi! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. It sounds like the like the kit basically - but it is a "basic job". That doesn't disappoint me none, as I get the impression there's a lot of room for improvement and making the model unique...

Gunnie
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:32 PM UTC
Definatly room for inprovement. For instence, the PaveHawk, although has nice mini guns, its missing all the ammo chutes. The Black Hawk's troop seats are all missing belts. Little things like that. Im pretty sure Eduard has something in the works. Look how long it took them to get something out for the Trumpeter A10's after they where released.
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie,
I just found this sight, you'll defiently be interested.
http://specialoperations.com/Army/160th_SOAR/default2.html
It shows the BlackHawks and Little Birds and some stuff from th e Movie.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:16 PM UTC
Thanks Epi - I'm heading that way...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP