Differences between F4U-1 Birdcage and F4U-1A
canuck63
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'm asking you that on behalf of a friend who doesn't speak English and since I'm not a Corsair expert I guess I'll find some help here for him.
My friend owns both the 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 and the just released F4U-1A and he happens to own the Gray Matter Figures Engine Bay and Brassin Engine and Cockpit sets for the Birdcage.
GMF has just released a second set for the 1A,therefore he knows that the first set won't be quite right for the 1A but he would like to know whether he could use the Brassin cockpit set and the engine on the 1A or if he'd be much better off waiting for a "dedicated" set of the cockpit at least,since I understand that the engine differs in smal details that can be found in the 1A box or obtained elsewhere.
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Cheers
Manu
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I'm asking you that on behalf of a friend who doesn't speak English and since I'm not a Corsair expert I guess I'll find some help here for him.
My friend owns both the 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1 and the just released F4U-1A and he happens to own the Gray Matter Figures Engine Bay and Brassin Engine and Cockpit sets for the Birdcage.
GMF has just released a second set for the 1A,therefore he knows that the first set won't be quite right for the 1A but he would like to know whether he could use the Brassin cockpit set and the engine on the 1A or if he'd be much better off waiting for a "dedicated" set of the cockpit at least,since I understand that the engine differs in smal details that can be found in the 1A box or obtained elsewhere.
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Cheers
Manu

Manu,
I'm no expert by any means. There are cockpit differences from the -1 to the -1A. Here's a few suggestions:

Google builds on both kits in 1/32 scale. Just on LSP site there are enough detailed builds and explanations to help your friend make a educated decision.

Pascal has a super detailed build right here on Aeroscale on the -1 Birdcage as well.

Google for specific information, and you'll get more hits then you will know what to do with.

Joel

_GOTOTOP