_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Mbox Hunter Trainer w. AIM-9 Conversion
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 03:20 AM UTC
If there’s one thing I really love, it’s a two-seat version of a single seater. Generally, if a two-holer of a given plane exists, I will try to find a kit of it, vs. the one-seater, any day of the week. Amazingly, I’ve had great luck with this! However, there are some two seaters that are harder to find in kit form than others. This is particularly true of some of the weird British trainers of the Cold War.

Thankfully, Matchbox came through for me, making both a Lightning T.55 and a Hunter T.7. I’ve managed to get my hands on both of these , but I liked the looks of the Hunter far more, so I built it first! Looking up stuff on the Hunter lead me to find some pics of it in Omani service, and man, did it ever look hot!

So, with that as inspiration, I dove into the Matchbox Hunter T.7 and converted it to a modernized T.66, complete with Sidewinder conversion! Check it out and tell me what you think; even if the Hunter trainer isn’t your cup of tea, you have to admit it looks darn sexy in that particular paint scheme!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/planes/matchbox-172-hunter-t-66/

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 04:17 AM UTC
Great work, and a colour scheme you don't see done very often. Always interesting to see old warhorses like the Hunter modeled in an updated form. I've always wanted to do one of the Swiss Maverick armed Hunters.
I'm lucky enough to have both of those kits and they are very unique. Matchbox always did do types no one else would touch and for that a lot of modelers will always be thankful.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words!

For some reason, nobody seems to be clicking on the link to take a look at it, but I'm glad somebody did!

I love seeing older planes updated too. Even moreseo today, having the newest airframe isn't always as important as it used to be. With modern electronics, smaller ASEA radars and smaller, more powerful optical systems, there's no reason an old warrior can't mess with the best, so to speak!

Another great Matchbox is the SK-37 two-holer Viggen! What a horrible thing to do to that beautiful plane! I love it!
 _GOTOTOP