_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Fuselage to Canopy
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 09:12 PM UTC
Here is a question about the fuselage surface area where the canopy is glued. This surface is not painted due to glueing, but the styrene is invariably not the color of the painted fuselage, so there is this very obvious unpainted surface with a clear canopy glued to it. How to remedy this?

Thanks for any sugguestions!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi Marc

I usually attach the canopy with diluted PVA (white glue) or similar. It's safe and easy because it won't cloud the canopy, and it allows you to paint the plastic to hide the joint if it's not going to be disguised by a canopy frame.

All the best

Rowan
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 09:29 PM UTC
Hi, Marc. I usually don't have problems with the unpainted mating surface of canopies being obvious, however, you are making me think about it with the problem.

Paint itself is an excellent adhesive if allowed to cure properly. So, I might just try painting the mating surface the right color once, just to see if it works.

Just an idea
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 09:44 PM UTC
Thank you both. I will try both of these methods!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
I think the root of your problem is it sounds as though you're attaching the canopy before you paint. Definitely paint that area first. Then attach the clear parts.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 10:24 PM UTC
Marc,
I deal with windscreens, & glass parts that need to be attached prior to painting, verses canopies and glass that I can attach after paint differently.

All glass is masked with either bought masks, or using Tamiya tape in various ways. Windscreens, etc. that need to be glued prior to painting are dry fitted till the best fit possible is attained. I carefully use Tamiya Extra thin around the joint. I've never had any fogging nor glue stain issues as I can control where, how, and the amount of glue. Once dry I can blend the parts in with various methods/products.

For parts that have been painted off the model, and the model has painted and sealed, I prefer to use Aleene's Tacky Glue as it's a much stronger bonding agent then regular White glue, and seems to tack up and dry quicker. The glue does stick to paint and every clear coat I've used, so you can paint those areas without any issues later.

Joel
FISTer13F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC
Marc,

I sometimes tint PVA glue with an acrylic version of the interior color. Any extra can wiped away with a water moistened Q-tip. On fixed portions of the canopy, this also helps to smooth the joint flush with the fuselage.

Hth.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
For those of you that use a Future style product to coat your glass parts, try using this as an adhesive for them as well. You can capillary a very thin bead around the glass parts and it dries perfectly clear, the only down side is that it dries quite slowly compared to conventional "clear parts" adhesives.

Cheers, D
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 - 07:46 AM UTC
Another good trick is to very carefully paint the bottom edge of the canopy black. This helps to disguise the thickness of the plastic and also prevents you from seeing through the bottom. Use a very fine-point brush and stay away from coffee for a while...
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:09 AM UTC
Thanks all for these great tips.
polo1112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC
I agree with you Jessica; I do the same but with a pointed (very thin of course) paintbrush and the result will be great.
thueser
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 07:58 PM UTC
I paint all edges with the fuselage color and then use

Clearfix http://www.humbrol.com/clearfix-28ml-bottle.html

or

Gatorglue http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html

for glueing the clear parts.
 _GOTOTOP