_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Liquid Cement joining and capilary action?
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 12:12 AM UTC
If read these posts about joining fuselage halves, etc, using liguid cement and capilary action. Problem is I can't get it to work. I have one of those thin glass tubes with a tiny metal tube on the end to use with Tenex. I am holding the parts together, and applying the cement to the outside. It always marres up the parts. It will not run down the seem, so I have to try to guide the tube down the seam, which I never get straight, and it messes up the plastic. Obvioulsy I am not doing it right.

Is there a video on this somewhere? I am suppose to be applying the solvent to the outside of the seam, correct?

What is suppose to happen with this capilary action?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
If you get some of those precision little swabs. Just went it with tenax, then (holding two halves tightly together, that's important) touch it to the tightly closed seam. The tenax will be drawn into the seam. I don't recommend using the little tube thing. It will get tenax everywhere.
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you get some of those precision little swabs. Just went it with tenax, then (holding two halves tightly together, that's important) touch it to the tightly closed seam. The tenax will be drawn into the seam. I don't recommend using the little tube thing. It will get tenax everywhere.

Wow great tip!! Glad I asked!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
If the seam is airtight the tenax won't flow though... Ease off pressure if it doesn't work
It's only needs a wee little crack to flow.
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the seam is airtight the tenax won't flow though... Ease off pressure if it doesn't work
It's only needs a wee little crack to flow.

Gotcha
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
You can also try a fine pointed brush. Sometimes the glue evaporates quite rapidly so you have to act quickly.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 10:05 PM UTC
There's a fine line between the parts not being tight enough, and too tight. It takes a few tries to get it right. I Generally find that at the pressure of just making contact is a good starting point.

I like to tilt the seam rather then in a level position as it does aid in proper capillary action.

You will get a glue stain where you touch the model. That's normal. Once dry, it's very easy to sand and polish out the seam.

My preferred glue is Tamiya Extra Thin. I really like the small applicator brush it comes with. If you're using a brush, you want a medium stiff bristle about a 1/4 inch in length. I find that the glue will run down hill about a inch at a time. So I plan accordingly. I also run the brush alone a seam like the leading and trailing edge of a wing. Clean up is generally very easy: #320, 600 both wet, then Micro Mesh pads or cloths 4000, 6000, 8000, & 12000.

Joel
Marc2109
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a fine line between the parts not being tight enough, and too tight. It takes a few tries to get it right. I Generally find that at the pressure of just making contact is a good starting point.

I like to tilt the seam rather then in a level position as it does aid in proper capillary action.

You will get a glue stain where you touch the model. That's normal. Once dry, it's very easy to sand and polish out the seam.

My preferred glue is Tamiya Extra Thin. I really like the small applicator brush it comes with. If you're using a brush, you want a medium stiff bristle about a 1/4 inch in length. I find that the glue will run down hill about a inch at a time. So I plan accordingly. I also run the brush alone a seam like the leading and trailing edge of a wing. Clean up is generally very easy: #320, 600 both wet, then Micro Mesh pads or cloths 4000, 6000, 8000, & 12000.

Joel

Thanks Joel. I got some and it is working out great. I need to get some of those super fine sanding and ploshing tools though..the smallest I have is 600.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:28 AM UTC
Marc,
Glad it's working out for you.

If I'm not looking to do a gloss or NMF, then just 4,000 will do perfectly well.

Joel
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 03:05 PM UTC
I too use Tenax and my prefered method of application is one of those cheap white Testors brushes and I run the brush along the seam.

Cheers Rob.
rklouie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Here's the youtube video from Gerald (Hawkeye Hobbies) on using the touch and flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPmlLmrYcOU

_GOTOTOP