Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1:72 FW 189A-2
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC
Well another one of the planes I started today was the FW 189A-2, one of the strangest planes I've made!!

And to start, funnily enough is the cockpit and Pilots.

And now for the canopy.

Not the best fitting of canopy but its airfix, what did we all expect lol. More tomorrow!!
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2015 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi everyone, got a little more construction done on the FW189. Managed to get all the wings and fuselage put together.

I has been sanded down just don't have a picture of it but its nearly ready for paint come February. Enjoy!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 02:09 PM UTC
That's NOT the best kit Airfix ever did. But I suppose you have already noticed that ?

I don't know if it exists but it could be worthwhile to search for some precut masks for that greenhouse. Or else you might need to dig out your loyalty card from your local psychiatrist !

Magnus
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 02:43 PM UTC
yeah, that green house is going to be a nightmare, thinking of just masking the hole thing up and using the good old brush once the main paint it done, but we shall see. Wish there was more detail within the kit as with the green house you can see a hell of a lot of the inside. One day Airfix might give more internal detail like companies like Revell do.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC
Si,
That's not exactly the easiest of Airfix 1/72 kits to build. Those rivets are golf ball sized, hope you're going to sand them down some.

If you haven't glued on the glass yet, it is a lot easier to mask with it off then on.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2015 - 11:33 PM UTC
I'm afraid Joel that the canopy is on, so out with the tape its going to be I think lol and dont worry, I'll give it a little sanding to make them smaller as I did on the Me109 I'm making.

It'll be either the weekend or next week for the new updates I'm afraid

Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:49 AM UTC
This is some damn fine modelling. So what about the age of the kit? Model as you wish. I am no engineer and use the rule of thumb: "I like it."

The canopy masking is one area that gets my goat. Pre-cut masks are expensive and, of course, must match the kit manufacturer. I brush mine, acrylic undercoat then enamel top coat. Doesn't take long because I don't mask the entire canopy in one go. I simply do the frames going one way, tape either side, and when that is done, do the frames going the other way.

No messy cutting and trimming. No scratches from a slipped blade. I have a Junkers 88 canopy, moulded by yours truly, to mask today and feel no trepidation whatsoever, it is just another part of the model.

Cheers,
Karl.
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 - 12:55 AM UTC
Hi Karl, to be honest I dont know the age of the model, I've owned it for about a year or so but I dont think its that old. I like your idea about the canopy, think I might give that idea a shout, be easier than blocking every last little window haha cheers though Karl!
 _GOTOTOP