_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Drabslab stash war: State of play
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
A stash war ... undoubtedly my best idea of 2013 ... and it started of on a bang May 2013 with two finished models, a mustang, a colorful F-84, and later a T-33. Then the stack did strike back and progress halted. All through 2014, the modelling frontline expanded considerably but nothing got finished.

First there was the Academy MIG 29. A fine model and I almost got it finished ... until I could not find the drawings with the correct decal placement. The model ended up on a shelve.

Then I enlisted for a chopper campaign with a Blackhawk from Minicraft. The stash turned the mojo of with a severe attack of house renovation-itis and also this model ended up on a shelve after I had missed the campaign deadline.

In the meantime, I had fallen in love with the Skyray. This early jet really looks like the real thing and after having given up on two builds, of course I had to start another one.

This only until I saw a perfect Skyhawk model in my local hobby club and I remembered that I had a Hasegawa kit in the stash.

Some compulsive buying brought the Skyraider. This Tamiya model builds like a dream and is in the paintshop right now. I just wonder if ....

Last but not least there is also the AZ Models Demon. A very nice kit but very difficult to build. I lost patience and stuck it all back in the box where it is waiting until ....

So, now you know how jumping from one model to the next, in times of house renovation leaving almost no time for hobbies, lead to a very unsatisfactory "NOTHING FINISHED" sitation. One Aeroscale regular recently hinted that "this way I was going to loose the stash war and he is right...

So, in 2015, things will be different. I enlisted for 4 campaigns, one of them is (how could you guess?) the Hangar Queen 5. Only difficulty here is which queen I will take from my huge hangar. I also am involved in the Training/two seater camppaign, the fighter bomber campaign and the Rotor RPM campaign.

I shall prevail !!!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
AeroScale: 563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:21 AM UTC
I have faith in you. ...until you find the next dream kit!
Maybe you can get these ALL into the Hangar Queen V build and clear those shelves!?!
Good luck, drabslab!
-Sean H.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 04:37 AM UTC
At least you are getting some kits into the paint shop. Since I'm traveling so much, 7 trips to Malaysia in 7 months, all I'm doing is building up to the wings and elevators and then the kit has to wait till I get home and can set up the spray booth. Not to mention some sweet deals that showed up in the mail, I think I added at least 3 kits in the last month. Plus for Christmas, I bought railroad and dinosaur kits for my grandsons to build.......

Oh and my main living/working area is torn up on a remodeling project too...
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh and my main living/working area is torn up on a remodeling project too...

I hope that this re-modelling will lead to some fancy aircraft factory and display room?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 12:22 AM UTC
Looks like the house remodeling bug is in full swing. My 3 days off from work modeling sessions will be slowly decreasing to just a few hours here and there, and hopefully one day to myself, as it's time to paint the inside of most of the house again. Also need to find a roof leak by the chimney. Then start a major upgrade to the finished basement, and then by spring once again start working on the Florida room.

Joel
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 04:29 AM UTC
I'm trying to establish the factory on 2 fronts.

In the main living area, Pros: near the TV, Kitchen and Wife. Cons: near the TV, Kitchen, and wife, odors and messes.
In a recently vacated bedroom, Pros: the odors and messes are hidden, no Wife, build and display space, there's a window to vent a spray booth out of. Cons: No TV, far from the kitchen, might have to share with model RR and grand kids.

What's a modeler to do???
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:03 AM UTC
Well, I almost survived the weekend without actually buying a kit. I do have 3 kits in a shopping cart at Squadron (I swear 2 are for my grandson). I managed to buy a pair of pliers for opening stubborn paint bottles, 2 1mm drills, a bottle for cleaning brushes, but no actual kits got taken home. I actually, you know, worked on a kit for the First Generation Jets campaign.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I almost survived the weekend without actually buying a kit. I do have 3 kits in a shopping cart at Squadron (I swear 2 are for my grandson). I managed to buy a pair of pliers for opening stubborn paint bottles, 2 1mm drills, a bottle for cleaning brushes, but no actual kits got taken home. I actually, you know, worked on a kit for the First Generation Jets campaign.

Mark, I am proud of you

Concetnrate on building instead of buying, can be most rewarding.

Now I only have to get the "finishing" right
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:52 PM UTC
I have a max limit of just 12 models in my stash. This has been accomplished by just allowing myself a single self in the closet in my model/computer room. Unfortunately, that limit has increased to now a Baker's dozen of 13 when a much needed trip for urgently needed supplies to my not so LHS, and the Academy 1/48 scale F-4C and F-4J called out to me. I managed to get out with just the F-4C along with my supplies, but the J isn't far behind. I'll have to work out some kind of long term deal with the Devil to expand to 14 but not buy another model till I get down to 11. Not going to be easy, but if I stick to my modeling game plan, it's doable.
Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:51 PM UTC
"building" is a good step. Getting some models out of the boxes and built all the way to primer is a tactic I am using now.

Looking through the hanger queens at built models asking for paint and decals is much more encouraging than looking at boxes of un-started kits, or barely started ones that still fit in the box.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 05:46 AM UTC
Right now the finishing is extra hard. 1) I'm spending about half my time in Malaysia, haven't really worked out getting the airbrush and stuff over her. 2)When I am at home, it's Seattle in the rainy season...
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 12:30 PM UTC
Drabslab,
I am in the same boat as you, but I have help in not buying any more our government has decided that I need to prop them up so no funds for awhile.

Mark,
Isn't it always rainy season.

Cheers Rob.
 _GOTOTOP