Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fieseler 156 Storch questions
Molentik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:23 AM UTC
I recently managed to find the Tristar 1/35 Fi-156 and want to use it in a diorama being towed by a halftrack (in this case a Sd.Kfz. 7 ) with it's wings folded back. This leads me to a couple of questions that I have a hard time finding the answers to.

First of all I'd like to find some more information on the wing-folding mechanism. I have found quite a few photos of the front and inside of the wings, but can't find any information on the pivot point or back of the wings while folded.

Secondly, I can't find any information or photos of the way the Storch would be towed. Would they just use a few ropes or chains attached to the tail of the plane, or would they use a dedicated towing 'frame' of some sort? If they used ropes, how would it be attached to the plane? How would you guys tow a Storch?

And as a related question, what are my options in 1/35 for a Luftwaffe recon pilot? I'm aware of the Verlinden set with one pilot and ground crew member, but Verlinden figures tend to be more 1/32 than 1/35.

I hope somebody can answer my questions!

Have a nice day!
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 03:36 AM UTC
Like this :

I can't find any convincing tow photos but I think a pretty convincing argument could be made for attachment to the tail landing gear. It's also possible it was towed forwards to maintain the natural weight distribution among the wheels but that's entirely speculation.
Molentik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply!

I've found a couple of pictures like the ones you've posted (not those though, so thank you for that!) but none of the area where the actual pivot point is. I have no idea how that area looks like with the wings folded.

On the towing, I guess you're right about hooking the cable/ropes to the tailwheel. I guess that if you pull it by the front there is a danger of the whole thing flipping forward when you hit a bump if the plane is a bit front heavy.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 - 07:03 AM UTC
Wartime Storches had a skid rather than a tail wheel. I'll bet that they'd hoist it up and fasten it to the towing point or perhaps to a purpose-built platform attached to it. It depends upon how much the rudder and elevators get in the way.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC

Tailwheel or no tailwheel it would be difficult to tow it on three points for any distance. Almost certainly the tail would be lifted from the ground. If there was some sort of trailer or cradle used for towing it then it could have been tied into the braking system of the towing vehicle otherwise a towing bar would be used or else the it would crash into the back of the vehicle everytime it applied the brakes.
Molentik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 - 08:21 PM UTC
Thank you Antoni for these pictures, they are an tremendous help! I also found this picture in 'Der Alte Tante under der Storch' by Janusz Piekalkiewicz (posted here for discussion only). It might help other modellers looking for the same info

In a related question, would artillery observers flying with the Storch always be from the Luftwaffe branch, or were they Heer artillery branch?
 _GOTOTOP