_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Identifying several Mi-24's variants
DUKWsinarow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 124 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC
I recently discovered that the United Nations operates at least five Mi-24 "Hind" gunships.

I already have a large T.E.A. Party rally on my 1:64th scale (S-scale) 'Atlas Shrugged; Strike of the Mind' inspired model train layout and thought that it would be interesting to depict one or several of these Mi-24's (in 1:72 scale) flying in in an attempt to aid the Government Leviathan. (Let's face it, what's more frightening then helicopter gunships operated by an unaccountable, shadowy international organization???)

Would any of you be able to identify the variant of either of both of these Mi-24's and direct me to the best 1:72nd scale model with which to depict them?

UN-01

UN-181;

UN-184;

UN-185;

UNO-881

UN-unidentified

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC
All but the first one and the last one are MI-24Ps with the dual, side-mounted 30mm cannons. The first and last ones are MI-24Ds with the rotary cannon in the under chin turret.

Sorry, no idea on who makes the best ones in 1/72.
DUKWsinarow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All but the first one and the last one are MI-24Ps with the dual, side-mounted 30mm cannons. The first and last ones are MI-24Ds with the rotary cannon in the under chin turret.

Thank you...
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 04:54 AM UTC
It's your diorama, of course, but if I may offer a suggestion, have you considered black helicopters? Maybe you could draw and print decals for some fictitious Federal internal security force, something like Russia's OMON. Call it the Homeland Guard, or something, with a sinister eagle emblem, maybe. Red and black are associated with evil in our culture and red markings on a black heli would look really spooky.
I guess you'd want to get a blank white decal sheet, and draw the red decals on a black background.
supergrobi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC
As for the kit, you should go for the Zvesda Mi-24 (also molded by RoG). It's outstanding nice and accurate and as you want it in flight, they include very nice pilots, too. Unfortunately, you can't model the P variant out of the box, as they don't have the side mountet canons, but you can make the V. Examine the first and last pictures very exactly, as I don't think, that this are actually D variants. It would be very uncommon to see this with type of "disco-light" and flare dispenser mounted. Looks more like a V to me. So, you have all in the Zvesda (or Revell) box.
DUKWsinarow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's your diorama, of course, but if I may offer a suggestion, have you considered black helicopters? Maybe you could draw and print decals for some fictitious Federal internal security force, something like Russia's OMON. Call it the Homeland Guard, or something, with a sinister eagle emblem, maybe. Red and black are associated with evil in our culture and red markings on a black heli would look really spooky.
I guess you'd want to get a blank white decal sheet, and draw the red decals on a black background.

@jphillips,

While I appreciate your suggestion, and am including SOME fictional elements (such as the fact that the small city in which this is taking place is named 'Alinskia', I find it spookier that most (virtually all) other elements are based on actual prototypes.

For example, one of the vehicles currently facing the peaceful T.E.A. Party rally is a Trumpeter M113A1 configured and painted to match the one deployed by the Midland County (Texas) Sheriff's Department upon which the Sheriff's Department was tallying it's civilian kills using the decals from 'crosswalk' road signs.

I never would have imagined that a (nominally) US Law Enforcement Agency would be tallying the number of American's it had killed (some of which are still being litigated and may not be 'good shoots') on the side of it's vehicle in the manner fighter pilots tallied ENEMY kills, but there it is...

Now, I discover that the UN owns a fleet of the MOST EFFECTIVE anti-personnel (also anti-civilian) helicopter gunship in the world....

As you can see, I don't need to invent a 'fictionalized' Government Leviathan, when there's a perfectly good REAL ONE...

I do find it interesting that both the real-life 'black-helicopters' (the UN gunships) and the government armored vehicle with US civilian kills proudly displayed on the side (Midland County) are WHITE, not black....
DUKWsinarow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As for the kit, you should go for the Zvesda Mi-24 (also molded by RoG). It's outstanding nice and accurate and as you want it in flight, they include very nice pilots, too. Unfortunately, you can't model the P variant out of the box, as they don't have the side mountet canons, but you can make the V. Examine the first and last pictures very exactly, as I don't think, that this are actually D variants. It would be very uncommon to see this with type of "disco-light" and flare dispenser mounted. Looks more like a V to me. So, you have all in the Zvesda (or Revell) box.

Thank you Stefan,

I'm currently away from home on a job but, when I get home, I'm going to order one of these and start on this model (I don't want the package sitting unattended on my porch).

Since the UN prototypes are often shown with at least one pair of hard-points empty, I just wanted to confirm that this kit allows for this (aka. a pair of hard-points can be accurately depicted as being unused)...
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
Tyler,
You may already be aware of this, but Linden Hill has a very nice decal for the Mi-24, which is available in 1/72nd scale; it includes markings for a Hind in UN service. I've used their decals before, and they're very nice, but I've found it's prudent to spray an overcoat of clear gloss over them first, to prevent any from breaking. Good luck with your diorama! http://lindenhillimports.com/lhd48006.htm
FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 04:11 AM UTC
Best 1/72nd scale Hind of any and all variants is Zvezda.
Floyd
 _GOTOTOP