_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
belly tank seam on F105G
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hi all, I dont often post here mainly a armour builder but I am attempting to build the Revell/monogram F105G Thunderchief so far its been a pig.I will get to my point I glued the large belly tank together and found it has a regular step along the the seam line I looked at some images of the real thing but no luck is it supposed to be their or is it another dodgy fit I checked all the seams and the line up ok. would appreciate any help.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi John

I don't have the kit in question and, while some full-sized tanks have a flange running along the seam, a regular step sounds more like the locating pins are mis-aligned. You could either:

1. Crack the tank open, clean-up the gluing edges (removing any remains of the pins if there are any) and re-cement it for a better fit, or

2. Sand the seams on the tank as you have it, doing your best to keep it cylindrical. A Flexi-File or padded nail file is a good option for jobs like this.

I hope that's some help.

All the best

Rowan
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 12:39 AM UTC
Many thanks Rowan, Ive been looking at it and the bottom half is bigger than the top looks like a file job. oh joy
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:00 PM UTC
The 650 gallon centerline drop tank was basically a three section assembly: front, middle, and rear. Hence, the two vertical set of wield seams. Each section was made by from sheet, so that there was a smaller wield seam on the top of each section that lined up as one continuous wield seam. It' shouldn't look like a step. As Rowan said, that's most likely a poor fit between the two halves.

Joel
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi Joel thanks for the info, Ifound a photo of the real thing and as you say a seam not a ridge so out with the files.
 _GOTOTOP