Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Luftwaffe ground vehicle
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC
Not an aircraft but aircraft related is this 1/48 scale Tamiya Kettenkraftrad and is my first completion for 2015.

The above pictures show the Kettenkrad posed with a Me 262 but I really built it to be used with this model which is a Ta 183. As you can see the Ta 183 is a little ways away from being finished.

Matrixone
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2015 - 11:16 AM UTC
Sweet little build Les I really like the muted camo tone. The highlights and shadows of your figure are really well done to. The Ta183 looks like it is a neat project as well.

Ernest
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 12:38 AM UTC
Thanks Ernest,
I kept the weathering on this little model very light, all the photographs that I have seen of Kettenkrads in service with the Luftwaffe show them to be clean so my model was weathered to match.

More progress has been done on the Ta 183, the camouflage colors have been sprayed on.
As you can see I am going for extreme weathering on this model, it is being finished as one of the early production Ta 183A-1a's and is so worn out it has been retired from frontline service and been assigned to one of the fighter schools to help train Me 262 pilots on how to fly it before being assigned to one of the Ta 183 units.

Matrixone
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 02:18 PM UTC
Hi Les, the Ta183 is coming along nicely. Did you use the hairspray technique to simulate the chipping?

Ernest
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2015 - 11:46 PM UTC
Ernest,
I use enamel paints so I did not use the hairspray technique here, instead I used the salt weathering technique. The salt weathering technique is preferred on aircraft because I find its more controllable than the hairspray technique.

The salt was put on with a damp paint brush and the type of salt I used was popcorn salt which is very fine grained compared to regular table salt.
After the salt was dry I sprayed on the camouflage colors and than a few hours later rubbed the salt off the model to reveal the bare metal areas.

No pictures today but I can tell you I repainted the RLM 82 on the wings, the color I had sprayed on before was just too dark and the new color I just added is lighter and more importantly looks to be slightly faded which matches the weathering on the rest of the airframe.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2015 - 12:52 AM UTC
Some pictures of the repainting I did on the wings the other day.

Matrixone
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 12:52 PM UTC
Looking good Les. Reference the salt technique vs hairspray technique. I actually find the hairspray techniques gives me a bit more control, though that may be because I did not execute the salt method very well the two times I used it. I may have to tey again with the type of salt you use as I did use table salt for both my attempts at salt chipping/fading.

Ernest
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC
Thanks Ernest!

I can see no reason why both the hairspray and salt weathering techniques could not be used at the same time if you are painting with acrylics. With enamels the hairspray technique could be more difficult.

The salt weathering technique can be done with some precision, I use a damp paint brush to apply the salt and with a little practice the salt can be placed right on the edges of panel lines if needed.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC
Some good progress has been done in the Ta 183, the airframe has been assembled and decals have been added.

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP