_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Advice on which UK museum to visit
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 05:46 PM UTC
In June I will be driving from Dover to Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5DY in Wales.

What would be the most interesting aircraft museum to visit along that route? I don't mind a detour if it does not become all to ridiculous. I have already seen Hendon (London) and Tangmere so I think that I have a fair idea how different, but very good those musea an be.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:10 PM UTC
When we were in England two years ago, we visited the Fleet Air Museum, definitely worth it. But might be a bit of a detour if heading to Wales.

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 06:20 PM UTC
I would suggest a detour north and visit Duxford or The Shuttleworth Collection and if it's not too far of a detour RAF Cosford

Good luck, Duxford for the first time visitor is an all day visit.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 08:40 PM UTC
I second Duxford as a must see and that will keep you occupied for a whole day.
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
If you can make the detour DEFINATELY go to Duxford !
Where ever you end up enjoy your trip !
Tom
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC
Duxford is a hell of a detour when you consider you have to get round Birmingham and then go across the lumpy bit in the middle of Wales late in the day. For my money your best bet is Cosford, as you can go straight on via Shrewsbury and it doesn't add as much to the journey as it might at first seem.

Also, if there's still time, Shrewsbury is a lovely little city.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Drabslab

Depending on your route, Middle Wallop is definitely worth a visit. When I was a kid in Kent in the '70s, some of the small enthusiast-run aircraft museums there were well worth checking out too - and more moving and personal than the larger museums because of their Battle of Britain crash-site relics.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC
I'll second RAF Cosford. The Cold War exhibition is well worth seeing. I can't think of another museum where you can see all 3 V-Bombers, a large collection of WWII German rockets, post-war British X-planes and the only KI-46 Dinah in the world. And of course the worlds biggest Airfix Spitfire

Duxford is also very big and has tons of great stuff to see and there's usually something interesting flying around on most days.
Fleet Air Arm Museum is a great place to go, but Yeovilton is probably out of your way. The carrier deck experience is something well worth doing.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC
And ow Aeroscale is used as a tourist guide as well.

Thanks a lot for the information, I am starting to plan the journey now
duttons
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 193 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC
Not a suggestion but when I was last there, a decade ago, I found a great little book which had every British military museum listed. Made the second half of the trip fantastic as there are so many little museums.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a suggestion but when I was last there, a decade ago, I found a great little book which had every British military museum listed. Made the second half of the trip fantastic as there are so many little museums.

Most likely, my aircraft related time will be limited to one day. We also need to attend a birthday party, make the maximum of those lovely welsch country roads (motorcycle trip, remember) and add some activities on the priority list of Ms. Drabslab.

For now, It looks like Cosford is going to be the target.
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 12:58 AM UTC
Fly Past and Aeroplane magazines are good places to look for museum information. Northamptonshire is due East of Llandidrod Wells and within easy reach of motorways and main roads. We have 2 very interesting museums, Sywell Aviation museum at the airfield of the same name and the Carpetbaggers museum at Harringtom, the spiritual home of the CIA. Both are only open at weekends as they are run by volunteers. Another option is Bruntingthorpe where they have a number of jets. I'm not sure about opening but an Internet search should give more information. Enjoy your holiday/party/celebration.revellry
 _GOTOTOP