_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Lockheed T-33 – 1/32 by Special Hobby
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hello,

Some pictures of a model which I mostly used for trying something new…. The metallic surface was done in a new way….

The kit is coming from the Czech. Company Super Hobby and is a typical short run kit. The plastic parts are mostly lower detailed and the fitting is not as good as you expect today. The kit also includes resin and pe parts, as well as decals for different versions, some in metal optic, others in 3-colour camo.

Here I have used metall wax which I ordered several time ago from USA. This was applied with a lint-free cloth and polished afterwards. A layer of glossy clear coat secured the surface before the next steps. Then the red was painted, the decals added and a 2nd layer of clear coat applied, before finishing the painting with a washing of black oil colors.

Also it made some troubles during the built and paint – also it was a “testing” kit… I think it is “ok” finally….

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 - 07:39 PM UTC
Michael,
Just an excellent effort of what had to be rather difficult build. Your painting, and especially your decaling are simply spectacular. The nose area really came out quite well.

From what you've said, your NMF is a metallic wax based powder that you buffed to an appropriate shine. It's the wax in these products that has always concerned me. Like car wax, one of their attributes is the smoothness and non-sticking of foreign substances so it stays cleaner and shinier. Your overcoat of a clear gloss should over come this. The fact that you were able to mask for the other colors shows that your process does indeed work.

Just out of curiosity, how would you go about various Aluminum shades for panels with your process? I could see doing the shading on the primer coat as a viable method.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP