_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
FEATURE
Chow Hound 2nd
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 08:48 AM UTC
Have you ever wondered what it's like to build a kit which needs no aftermarket parts? Wonder no more.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hi Jim
Your T'bolt looks sweet.

I'm starting to wonder if I've missed the enlistment for the Thunderbolt group build.

What with you, Joel and Dave.There must be a Storm brewing.

Chris
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 07:40 PM UTC
Jim,
Simply an outstanding build of the Eduard/Academy Jugs over Germany kit. Your NMF is dead on perfect.

Just wondering how you handled the waste gate valves and the exhaust vents in front of them, as there really isn't a detailed picture of that section. In the one picture the two exhaust gas vents by the gate value next to the lower side of the cowling looks like they were either replaced as I'm doing, or you did a fantastic job on opening them up. The ones on my fuselage halves weren't crisply molded which surprised me considering the rest of the level of molding, so that was the deciding factor in replacing them. I also drilled out and replaced the gate valves.

Joel
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hi Chris, thanks for the kind words. I think I've misses the Jug build too :-). Take care
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 09:47 PM UTC
Hi Joel thank you. I've been watching your build and your quite a pro Jug constructor yourself! I actually opened up the vents. They were very well molded so it made it easier to cut them open but I still had to be careful. The gate valve is as-is. I used a very dark mix of Alclad metals and sprayed them. Seemed like a lot of work at the time but it was worth it. As I said I'm enjoying your build so keep the pics coming! Take care. Jim
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 03:39 AM UTC
Jim, very good Jug! It looks like a nice kit the way they packaged it.
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, very good Jug! It looks like a nice kit the way they packaged it.

Thank you my friend, very kind of you. As far as the packaging/presentation, Eduard hit this one out of the park in my opinion. For a good price you receive resin details, photoetch seat belts and cockpit elements plus a more than generous offering of markings. I was so happy with this I bought another "over Germany" kit as well as their "Jugs over Italy" kit. What higher compliment could I give. Anyway, thank you so much for your encouragement and kindness. Take care. Jim
Burt_G
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 07:21 AM UTC
Very nicely done.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 08:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel thank you. I've been watching your build and your quite a pro Jug constructor yourself! I actually opened up the vents. They were very well molded so it made it easier to cut them open but I still had to be careful. The gate valve is as-is. I used a very dark mix of Alclad metals and sprayed them. Seemed like a lot of work at the time but it was worth it. As I said I'm enjoying your build so keep the pics coming! Take care. Jim

Jim,
Thanks for answering my questions. Of course now I'm having 2nd thoughts about cutting out and replacing those waste vents, verses just opening them up. I must love to make as difficult for myself as possible.

I'm already getting ready to order the Jugs over Germany kit with my next Sprue Brothers order.

About the only thing missing from the kit is the option to drops the flaps as the vast majority of parked Jugs have them that way. I keep on looking at them on kit, but the amount of work to do them correctly as they're A-Symmetrical is scaring me to death. Not only the flaps, but the amount of work needed to correct the wing flap housing is a major undertaking. Think I'll just leave with them as is.

Joel
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 11:39 PM UTC
That's what I ended up concluding too. I would have made a mess of a perfectly good kit. Take care

_GOTOTOP