Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dornier Do 335A-1a/U4 finished
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:30 PM UTC
Here is my second completed model of 2015, its the 1/48 scale Tamiya Do 335A-O and was built mostly O.O.B.

I wanted to make this model into an operational aircraft and added the special anti-bomber armament and used different markings to make this Do 335 one that was used as a Pulkzerstorer.

Matrixone
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Hi Les

Gorgeous work as ever! The paint-job and weathering are superb, and your photography and lighting technique really creates an almost uncanny full-size "vintage" effect.

All the best

Rowan
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:09 AM UTC
Thank you very much for the comments Rowan!

All the pictures of my models (even the in-progress pics) are taken outdoors, its tough to beat natural light and the best part its free.
The worst thing about outdoor photography is in sunlight building or painting errors stand out like sore thumb, but it can help a person to learn to build better models...you have to be able to see the mistakes in order to not repeat them on newer builds.
About ten years ago when I bought my first camera and took some pictures of my models with outdoor lighting and I was rather horrified at how crappy my models looked through the camera, indoors the models looked passable but outdoors seam lines, sloppy painting of the canopy frames and wheels were areas I could easily see I needed to improve.

More pictures of this Do 335...

Matrixone
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:59 AM UTC
Outstanding and exceptionally realistic Les. I think your Arrow is fantastic. You've inspired me to invest in this kit as I've been on the fence for some time. Thanks for sharing! Take care. Jim
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 05:55 AM UTC
Thanks Jim!

This is a terrific kit and no doubt you will enjoy it.

One thing to keep in mind is the wings and how they fit to the fuselage...there will be no dry fitting of the wings to the fuselage because there is a barb on the wing spar that locks the wings in place, just be sure you are ready for this. This sounds much worse than it really is because the wings match up to the fuselage well enough to not have a real need to dry fit them.
Why can't other kits have parts that fit together as good as those on this Do 335 kit?

Matrixone
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:27 PM UTC
Esceptional build Les, very, very nice! I like the muted blended effect of your paint job especially well.

Ernest
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks Ernest!

There is one more Do 335 under construction, its the Do 335B-12 two seat trainer and I just started painting it earlier today. This model should be done in a week or two.

Matrixone
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 03:32 AM UTC
Les,
Yet another one of your superb rock solid builds. Paint, decaling, and weathering all work so well together to create a most realistic looking replica. Your expertise in outdoor model photography just makes this experience so much the better.

Personally, I really enjoy your Sepia tone pictures, as I have a hard time deciding if it's a real aircraft or a model I'm looking at.

Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:47 PM UTC
Thanks Joel, very much appreciated!

Matrixone
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
Great result Les, and agree with the others about the way you've set and composed your shots - very "genuine" .....

Brent
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks Brent!

I live in a very wet climate and getting good outdoor pictures of the models is hit or miss, I was lucky the day I shot the pictures of the Do 335 as it was a really nice day.

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP