_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
IDF Mirages
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC
HI Gang,Do not know if this question has been asked here before but I`m desperate to know.
Did the IDF ever use the Mirage 3E ?,I ask as I`ve got revell`s classic 1/32nd kit in my stash and would like to do an Israeli Mirage but if they didn't then I`ll chop it in on E-Bay and wait for Italeri`s new tooling of the 3C.
I await answers with baited breath !.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:13 AM UTC
As far as I know Danny the IDF did not use the Mirage IIIE. They used the Mirage IIICJ, Mirage IIIRJ and the Mirage IIIBJ, but the arms embargo imposed by France stopped any further exports of any Mirages.
Hope this helps
tim
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:41 AM UTC
Danny, I believe Tim hit the nail on the head. I think about 200 IIIE's were made for the French Air Force and several IIIE variants served with some South American nations as well as South Africa but I don't think that variant made it into the IDF.

Best wishes,

Ian
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:45 AM UTC
Yep, sorry, Tim and Ian are correct. They did use a locally manufactured version of the Mirage V (but with different nose) called the Nesher, but no IIIE. There are at least a couple of different aftermarket conversions for the Revell kit to a Kfir, if you want to go that far though.

On full alert about that upcoming Italeri IIIC, a dream come true for me!

Michael
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 11:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply guys,on E-Bay it goes then !.With any luck at all it`ll raise enough to get my foot on the ladder for the new Italeri kit.
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
The Mirage 5(not V), was designed especially for the IDF, but as mentioned, wasn't delivered.

Mirage 5 didn' use roman chiffer for its version name, as it was used before for the Balzac V or Mirage V prototype, of a VTOL fighter, V as you've all guessed standing for "vertical".

Stef (#6)
 _GOTOTOP