_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1:72 Tamiya FW-190 A3 (Complete)
Woodheads
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:13 PM UTC
So ive just got back into modeling after several years off and even then it was terrible brush painted stuff, so im trying to get into it again and this is my second model ive done with an airbrush.

Overall im really happy with everything, though there were some areas where the surface got kinda messed due to me handling the model/not cleaning properly

like you can see on the bottom right wing,this came up when i did some weathering with oils, i was worried i would just end up damaging it more if i tried to remove it so i left it for now, tis a fairly small mistake.

I did chipping with a regular silver pencil

The decals were the out of kit ones and they proved difficult to work with, thick and didnt like sinking into details, as well its really easy to see the clear flash on some of the decals which is annoying.

Exhaust stains were done with charcoal and mig pigments

I also made seatbelts out of painters tape which ended up working very well i think considering it took very little time and at such small scale you cant see much detail.

I just drybrushed the cockpit as you can hardly see it as is, as well as used gloss to bring out the dials.

Like I said im quite new at this so any criticism/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC
Woodheads,
Welcome back to the hobby, and to Aeroscale. You're really going to like it here. Not to big, nor to busy where you get lost in the crowd. It's more like an extended family.

For your 1st airbrushed model, it really looks quite good. Well done. Not sure what that stain is that you're referring to, but once I clean the model for priming, then painting I wear white cotton gloves. When painting I switch to either latex gloves, or latex fingers which I prefer over the gloves.

Just enjoy your return to the hobby, and take it one step at a time.

Joel

_GOTOTOP