JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 01:07 AM UTC
http://www.flightjournal.com/blog/2015/02/05/the-a-10-warthog-vs-politics-aviation-insider/
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 01:10 PM UTC
Interesting article and a subject that is around for many years already.

But let's face it, maybe the A-10 has become redundant in times when precision ammunition can be dropped, and GPS guided, to a target many miles away.

How far are we from the day that all airplanes are outdated?

- experiments with lasers shooting airplanes down are promissing

- Missiles flying 5000 km/h are being tested

- Cheap drones can deliver a payload anywhere

Probably, also the F-35 will be partly overtaken by new technologiees when (if) it becomes operational.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:15 PM UTC
Somehow the A-10 finds a way to stay alive. but at some point political pressures and curtailed military budgets will be the final set of nails in it's coffin.

As Drabslab pointed out current and future, cheaper non-human operated technologies will take it's place.

One thing is for sure, I'll be building models of A-10s but never of those newer technological wonders.

Joel
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:42 PM UTC
Retiring the A-10 is absolutely ridiculous. And the fact we are breaking the bank for the F-35 Joint Strike Failure is even more of a travesty. But I would expect nothing less from the Beltway Bureaucrats in DC.

Regards,

Ian
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
An interesting article. I'll always defend the Thunderbolt and I believe the US will be making a terrible mistake if political pressure forces their retirement. Neither the F-35 or drones will be able to do what it does. Besides from it's devastating firepower there is also its psychological impact on enemy forces, especially guerrilla and terrorist forces. They are terrified of it.
Unfortunately politicians and to some extent the public too, prefers a clean and clinical approach to war. Better to use drones flown from an air conditioned office than actually putting someone in theatre. The A-10 has never worked politically and is often seen as overkill by the uniformed. But for troops on the ground it is their best friend. Untill an equally heavily armed, dedicated CAS aircraft is developed the A-10 has to stay in service I believe.
 _GOTOTOP