_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
REVIEW
Academy 1/48 F-4J
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
The F-4 Phantom II was the result of McDonnell Aircraft Corporation’s desire to upgrade their relatively successful F3H Demon single-engine fighter. With the advent of the F8U Crusader on the horizon, the U.S. Navy was luke-warm to the idea of another supersonic fighter and asked whether the aircraft could be made into an all-weather fighter. Just as McDonnell was finishing up the design changes for that version, the Navy came to them with a proposal to make it a fleet defense interceptor.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 01:48 AM UTC
Richard,
Another excellent review.

The Iconic Toons have always been a personal favorite of mine, as it was the dominate Jet of all three branches that few them.

I built the B and found it to be a fantastic kit, with the only down side being the tri-colored plastic. The only AM parts I bought for it were ejection seats, same for the F-4C that I still haven't even opened. And I've got the J seating right next to it with AM resin seats as well. Thankfully the tri-colored plastic is gone, but since I prime everything, it's no big deal.

The Cartograf decals are 1st rate. The in house stencil sheet done correctly took me almost two weeks to apply.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to building both versions. Doing a G would require a complete new fuselage mold, but since Academy has been committed to taking over the lead in 1/48 scale Phantoms, can one be that far off in the future?

Joel
masanissa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC
Phantoms are still flying combat missions as of 2014!
masanissa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC
Iranian Phantom in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jATmkWoY9N4
 _GOTOTOP