_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Revell Brisfit: Whats in the box?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'm giving some thought to scaling up my WW1 builds from 1/72 to 1/48 and Revell's Brisfit has caught my eye as one I'd like to build. But what plastic is in the box? I'm guessing that it's either Roden or Eduard. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, how do Roden and Eduard compare in 1/48? I've built both manufacturers kits in 1/72 and find Eduard to be the superior build. Roden seem to have better engines and cockpits and optional extras, but can be awkward and need some trimming to get them to fit. Are they pretty much the same in the bigger scale?

Cheers
Stephen
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 02:05 AM UTC
The Revell Brisfit is the Eduard plastic. That's not a Bad Thing

Both Eduard and Roden do wonderfully detailed kits. The difference I find is that Roden kits, in keeping with their limited-run nature, are a little more fiddly to build. Roden will give you five pieces where Eduard uses one. Also, Roden's decals are often less than user-friendly, especially in their older kits.

Compare the Roden Fokker D.VII with the Eduard, for example.

With a little "Some modelling skills required" you can make a show-stopping model from either.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Stephen, the Revell Biff (Brisfit is a modern thing, Biff was it's nick name during the war) is indeed the Eduard kit. Roden do a different engine version as well as the standard engine while Eduard do several versions of the same kit including the crocodile with red & white checks (the red should be black). I have both Roden kits and a couple of the Eduard kits (and the WNW version) but have yet to build any so can't help you with details of any fit issues.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC
Awesome, I'll look into getting one then.
I do like Roden but they always seem a bit rougher than others. I do have the 1/72 Biff in the stash and it looks to be more neatly molded than the various Albatross' I have. Those particular kits are pain in the a*s! And yes, the decals are awful!

I'll keep my eyes open for some of Eduards weekend edition 1/48's too. They look like good kits for the money.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 07:52 AM UTC
The Revell kit is the Eduard kit - no engine. Roden has the Engine.
Brad Cancian and myself have built both versions. Images can be seen at "Shipshape in Bristol Fashion".
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2015 - 02:12 AM UTC
Awesome build Stephen. I was thinking of something very similar with my 1/72, panels off with a couple of mechanics working on the engine.

As to the 1/48 I am leaning towards getting the Revell rebox. Seems a bit more straight forward and will have good decals. I might get something else to sink my teeth into before tackling the F2b. Something with a simpler rig so maybe a Fokker DVII.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2015 - 11:24 AM UTC
I've had both the Roden and the Eduard kits in my stash for years, but still haven't built either of them. Maybe in 2017 for the 100th anniversary of the type.

Anyway, I think the Eduard kit is definitely better. The shape of the nose is right.

Mikko
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanks Mikko, I think it's definitely the one I'm going to go for.
I happened to come across Eduards 1/48 Roland CII today in a charity shop and had to to get. Very neatly molded kit and I'm looking forward to starting it. In fact I may drop everything else to get it done! On that basis alone I'll be getting a few of theirs in the coming months.
Although I have to admit Roden have got some good stuff in 1/48 when I'm prepared for the extra challenge.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 08:49 PM UTC
Ladies & Gentlemen

I have the Aurora Brisfit, which as most of you Know is from the "Age Before" and is highly accurate to the "Age Before" (William Nye (I think)) drawings. As a starter Kit in biplanes it is excellent. hard to get now but the equivalent Glencoe Spad is equally simple for a starter kit.

What I am saying Is these kits including the Round 2 "Lindberg" biplane kits are reasonably priced good for practice kits AND make up to kits that look like the original. And I have seen some contest winners.

Go to Model Airplane News website they have the original draws which were for pre plastic solid models. the publish books of these plans.

enjoy

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP