Modern aircraft of the United States.
WOW F-8 CRUSADER PICS
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:32 AM UTC
Here is the pics of my F8 Crusader, the last of the Navy's gunfighters. The kit is from Hasagawa and Falls together. Only fit problem being the canopy, and if you want the cockpit open you might need a detail set for the deck behind the ejection seat. All in all it was a great build i recommend the kit to everyone. I think even Mal would love this little bird. This is a F-8E with VF-191 Satan's Kittens station aboard the USS Ticonderoga.

There ya go guys. BTW, the kits was paint using Gunze and Testors enamels. I recommend Gunze's new super clear gloss as its a nice protecteant for the decals and paint, It also dries realy fast which is a good thing for those with kids that like to touch shiny thigns. Comments are welcome thanks STUG
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
It looks like aclean build. Also, show in the panel lines. Try adding a wash to the kit. A little weathering should make it battle worn. Good work!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
Shonen, thanks for your comments, but I personally don't like the look of blacked panel lines. Also this bird is from the Famous '60's and even though Crusaders did see combat over Vietnam, the crews of the carriers also spent many a day wasting away in Lovely P.I. I felt it only fitting to show this one after a trip to Subic Bay. Where crews had whole aircraft maintained and painted by filipino workmen. Their pride and dedication is sorely missed by aviators of the Western Pacific. thanks for your comments. STUG
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:20 AM UTC
Subic bay? Then you must have contact us to see you there!

warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
It's ok for a Navy bird. #:-) Oh heck who am I kidding?? The build looks great Steve. Very nicely painted and clean build. I can see what you mean by the canopy fit. The second pic shows the gap you mentioned. Not your fault though you pulled this one off very well. I love the looks of those man eaters.
Oh by the way the only other thing that I see you may want to try to adjust is the carrier deck she is sitting on looks a little bit too red and clean maybe some dirt and formula spills would do the trick.#:-)

Paul
Vodnik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
AeroScale: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen, thanks for your comments, but I personally don't like the look of blacked panel lines.

Do not use black wash! Blacked panel lines indeed look unnatural - just use gray that is darker than the main light gull gray, but not very dark. This way you get very realistic effect, as lines are not visible if you look at the model from the distance, but pop up nicely when you get closer.

Did Crusader have a panel line along the top of the hull, behind the canopy? As far as I know it didn't (except for one or two panels immediately behind the canopy), but I may be wrong. If I am right however it would probably be a good idea to use some filler and sand the seam smooth, so it is not visible. But of course it is something to consider in your next model, as there is no point to destroy such a nice finish you have on this plane!

Also are you sure about the red radome on this particular plane? In Osprey "F-8 Crusader Units of the Vietnam War" book there is a color profile of this airplane and it has black radome. I know that at some period VF-191 Crusaders had red radomes - I'm just not sure about this particular plane on USS Ticonderoga.

Good work overall!

Regards,
Pawel
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 02:16 AM UTC
Nice clean paint job there stug. I always look to the canopy frame painting first as it is something I always struggle with, yours is spot on. The one thing I would do personally is to darken the gun ports a bit to make them more obvious, just my personal preference. Is one of the missile rails crooked? [photo 3 portside] Do you plan on adding any stores to the wing hard points?
Congratulations on a beautifully finished kit.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Steve :-)

Very nice! I'm impressed by the clean join inside the nose intake - was there a nasty seam to fill like in some kits?

I must admit I wouldn't be able to resist dirtying things up a bit... I'm busy weathering the Sea Hornet this weekend. I really like the shaded effect on the exhaust - how did you do that?

Thanks for the tip about Gunze's new varnish, I'll look out for it.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
Mmmmmm................I didn't Know that I was your worst enemy, Steve?

Nice looking carrier thingy, but it don't have a prop and it aint in natural metal so I wont be building one of these. It is nice to see one built so well though, good job. Just one thing to add the pile on the carrier deck is just a tad over scale :-)
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 03:43 PM UTC
First an apology to Mal. I meant that even you would enjoy this kit, and you not my enemy. You have become a close a friend as would could have through a modeling site and an excellent modeler. I'm sorry if my grammer was off and it did unfortunatly lend to the idea that you were my arch nemisis in modeling. the original post has been edited to reflect my true intent of the statement.

Yes the Missile rail has been repaired. as for ordinace, I'm looking for the Hasagawa weapons set. I'd like to arm my Crusader in it Fleet Defender role with the 6 Sidewinder missiles. Also of note the Hasagawa kit does include 4 Zuni Missile packs for the fuselage hardpoints.

Rown, there is infact a nasty seem right at the front, but it can be leveled with a sanding stick and paint and decals will hide it well. Also the exhaust was done with testors metalizers. fisrts was an overall spray with "Jet Exhaust" then a couple verticle lines done in both Magnesium and Aluminium metalizers to brighten the assembly.

Pawel, I don't have that reference but even web sites on these great planes argue when exactly did the squadron "change" their colors. I just went with Hasagawa on this one in an attemt to avoid the ensuing argument. Also thanks for the tip on the wash I might try it on my next carrier bird. Yet another surpirse for the group here.

Finally to Shonen, The US is planning on reopening some facilities in the P.I. Clark AF base is just now resuming operation and the USS Vincennes just recent made a port call to the Manilla area. Maybe soon we'll see a full return the days of old and the US will be present there in the P.I. again.

Thanks for your comments guys. STUG
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 04:10 PM UTC
Steve,
it looks very nice, The decals make it look very colourful
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
Thanks for commenting Andy. I like the old Hi-Vis paint jobs too. I think you should try one as well. STUG
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

First an apology to Mal. I meant that even you would enjoy this kit, and you not my enemy. You have become a close a friend as would could have through a modeling site and an excellent modeler. I'm sorry if my grammer was off and it did unfortunatly lend to the idea that you were my arch nemisis in modeling. Steve

Steve, no apology needed, I understood your sentiment. I too see you as a friend and as a friend you can call me what you like :-) Actually I would love to build this model, but because of everything else I want to accomplish I draw the line at modern (ish) stuff. That is apart fromt the one or to modern kits I have in my stash.
Mal
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thanks for understanding. now we can get back to the issue at hand.

I was wondering after seeing what the rest of y'all had done how do you clean up the canopy from finger prints and and tape residue? Itried glass gleaner but it's still a little cloudy. STUG
 _GOTOTOP