_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Need help with after market parts.
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi All
I am in need of some help. I am building Trumpeter's F4U-1D and I bought the resin cockpit from Black Box. I have built it up and painted it without any problems but I am now having trouble getting it to fit to my satisfaction. I can't seem to get the parts to match inside the fuselage.
Maybe I'm being too hung-up over this problem since it won't be seen any way.
If anyone knows of any WWW sites that may be of assistance to me please point them out.
Any advise from the pro's?
Thanks
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi Tek2,

I haven't tackled this kit, but I sympathise... you've described one of the greatest "joys" in modelling: getting after-market parts to fit the kit they're intended for!

The basic problem stems from the fact that accurately scaled replacement parts often wont fit without subjecting the host kit to a lot of sanding and scraping. A lot of resin part pattern makers seemingly make no allowance for the thickness of plastic used in kits - hence the trouble fitting them... even when they're included in kits like Classic Airframes etc.

I usually tape the parts together to judge the fit and scrape/sand accordingly before I risk painting.

Hope this helps

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP