_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Helicopter Ideas
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC
My IMPS club decided to do a club contest. They decided on a helicopter, but then could not decide on scale, type, model, etc. Finally someone suggested that we all just build a helicopter. Any model, maker, scale, just a helicopter.

I've dug through my stuff and found 1/48 Revell-Monogram AH-64s and AH-1s, MRC 1/35 Kiowa, Super Cobra, USCG Bell, ancient 1/48 Aurora UH-1B and AH-1Gs, a few Fujimis and various other models. I never knew I had so many choppers, many US type though.

I did find my old half-started Testors 1/48 Stingbat and I'm going to give that thing a go. I picked up some True Details wire cutters, and I may drop a resin cockpit or at least a cockpit detail set to dress it up. It may not be the best, but it will be different.

Any suggestions?
Spike9077
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:32 AM UTC
I will just tell you one thing Rob.................Remember don't spill glue on the cockpit window!.........I probably dont have to tell you that, being the modeller you are, but just in case becasue I know that will ruin the model. Sorry, nothing else.

Mark
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 12:55 PM UTC
If you could scratch build it or rob some other chopper I would suggest you try making a AH-56 Cheyenne.In reality,it was better than the Apache(except the avionics)because the Apache program stole alot from the Cheyenne lol.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC
Don't overlook the Revell and MPC versions of the Bell 47 Helicopter - both are nice looking when done, and are nice OOB. If you want to detail them, both are easy to work with and improve. Best of all - the "bubbles" fit on the fuselage...

You could get snazzy and build a Bell 47 with Floats on it too...

Gunnie
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
The newest helicopter kit is Italeri's MH-47E, in 1/72. I have their AH-47C kit and it is nice. The MH-47E is one of the "heroes" of the current Afghanistan war.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
I think that Mach2 produces a nice "Alouette".
swin27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 12:17 PM UTC
Sabot,
I have just completed a run of 1/35 scale helicopters.. Including the MRC OH-58, and MRC AH-1W, MRC AH-6J, and working now on the MRC UH-60L. I did start a 1/48 Itilari AH-64D And I had to STOP.. That kit (IMO) Is a big piece of junk! Nothing in the kit fit and was all but a pain.. But I digress... The Cobra is very impressive.. however the MRC Kit is VERY slim in the cockpit area.. and I had to scratch build most of the interior "Stuff". If I were you and wanted a GOOD kit.. With ease of Build and Options with out spending extra cash for after market add ons.. I would build the OH-58D again! That has a really good interior with just about EVERY radio and avionics groups.. in the rear cabin.. all you have to do to "spruce" it up is add some copper wiring to the boxes.. and it would be a "Contest" worthy model. The kit also has many weapon options which help too... I made a Hellfire / .50 cal option.. and it's a really nice piece! Let me know if I can help further... I have many reference photos I could email you.

_GOTOTOP