_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Matchbox Skyknight - Korean night killer
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 06:15 AM UTC
If it’s one thing I love, it’s a two seater, especially if it’s an awkwardly-styled side-by-side two seater! If it just happens to be a Matchbox too, then I’m probably going to get really excited about it! That’s exactly what happened when I came across the old Matchbox F3D Skyknight in a shop a while ago!

I know there’s a newer Sword kit of the venerable F3D, but really, you have to give Matchbox credit for bothering to kit the rather pedestrian Skyknight in the first place. I don’t know how popular a kit it was, but it’s a nice one to have if you like early night fighters or Korean War stuff.

I thought I’d share this one as an out of box review, so please, take a look at the old chestnut at the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/172-matchbox-f3d-2-skyknight-oob/
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC
A cool kit.

This ones been on my wish list for a while but with the current going price in the UK, I think then newer Sword kit might be a bit cheaper!
I live in hope that Revell will reissue this in due time. I mean they did the Buccaneer and HMS Ariadne this year so they might.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:39 PM UTC
Man, that's a sad thought; a Macthbox fetching the same price as a Sword kit. I didn't think it was THAT rare. If I'd known that, I'd have bought all three copies the store had! Oh well. That was like 8 years ago now.

I'm surprised they haven't been prompted to re-release it simply BECAUSE Sword's made a kit. I mean, may as well challenge the market if you've got the moulds, right?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:59 AM UTC
That was a good review, Adam, Thank you. It so happens that I have this kit in my stash. I had no idea it was anything like a rare kit.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments on the review.

I know, I don't really think of Matchboxes as being rare or even that collectible, well, other than by me, of course!

I still intent to build it, if for no other reason than I love Matchbox kits and the Skynight is just so... pedestrianly cool!
jonvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2015 - 07:23 AM UTC
Nice review, I built that kit 4 or so years ago. I did it as the all black Marine night fighter. I hope to find it on E-Bay or at a vendors table to do again, this time I may scratch build and add a little detail to the cockpit. Thanks for the added information.---John
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:16 AM UTC
Yeah, I like the all-black version myself. I have a Yak-15 as well (actually, two - the PM and Eastern Express), so I can model the first jet vs. jet night kill!

I love the all-black; it really makes the plane look like some kind of sinister Orca. Actually, one painted like an Orca would have made an interesting show paint... Hmmm...
 _GOTOTOP