_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Airfix 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi everyone. For those that are tracking my progress to date you may have realised that I have a lot of models on the go at the moment. think around the 15 to 20 mark including old ones that need painting. However I went to IWM Duxford a few weeks ago with my parents and I was treated to the Airfix 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon. So being a good boy I put it in the pile with the to do models but somehow it made it onto my work bench. So here's the progress to date. Enjoy!

Thanks to the design of the Typhoon it is such an easy model to make.

This took me about half an hour to get to this stage.

So next step was a base cote of white primer followed by a black primer around all the panel lines.

Once this was left to dry for about 24hrs I gave it its colour coat. It says to use a Humbrol light grey, think its 165 or around there but looking at it it just didnt go right. So I applied some artistic licencing and changed the paint to Tamiya
XF-19 Sky Grey which in my eyes is such a better colour to use. And he she is currently drying on the mirror.

Think I have got the coverage just right as there is a slight darker mark around the panels.

Next.........a coat of enamal gloss to protect it.

Stay tuned guys!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 02:50 AM UTC
Not a bad start. Typhoons do tend to look a bit dirty in places so the black preshade has worked in my eyes. Looking forward to seeing more.

If you can, get the Revell kit next it knocks the socks off Airfix's effort. The Airfix kit is an older tooling and is more closer to the original prototype than production versions of the Eurofighter. I think it was originally tooled in the early 90's. Revell waited for the final versions to start rolling off the production lines and entering service before doing theirs a few years ago. At the time of the Airfix release a lot of kit companies were releasing kits of the next-gen fighters and bombers before they had been finalised and in the case of Italeri and Testors, some that were works of fantasy! The Revell kit is about as accurate as you can get and also has a HUGE selection of weapons and marking options. This is by no means a criticism of your build, merely a suggestion as to your next buy. You won't regret it.
And it would be interesting to have the Airfix and Revell side by side in a display.
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 04:06 PM UTC
Thank you Stephen for your kind words. That's actually not a bad shout, hopefully it'll be in 1/72 as well and with the FGR version rather than the F model would look brilliant!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 08:44 PM UTC
Glad to help. Yes the Revell kit is in 1/72, although they do also do 1/48 and if you have the space a 1/32! I have the 2-seater boxing which was a bit more limited in options but the single seat has a choice of amraam, meteor, sidewinder, asraam or iris-t missiles. I know it also has a pair of stormshadow air-surface missiles and I think a similar type used by the Luftwaffe and Italian air force. A pair of paveway II LGB's are easy to find if you wanted some of those (airfix jaguar, buccaneer and revell tornado gr1 are good sources). I'm not sure if typhoons are cleared to carry brimstone missiles yet but I think freightdog models does a set of those in resin.
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 - 10:21 PM UTC
Yeah they are pretty much getting there with the DMS Brimstones. Perks of my job, sorry old job as a JTAC I got to play with all that side lol well the revell kit is on the future want list but I, by orders of the boss have to get through all my models I have just now.
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hi everyone, here's my weekends work on the Eurofighter. Enjoy!

Firstly, after a gloss protection coat over the entire plane I started adding some of the other colours. First the undercarriage compartment.

After this it was the darker grey nose come and leading edges of the tail fin and front small wings things.

Sorry for the quality of pic but after removing some of the masking tape some of the paint decided to come with it. Was not best please

However after a little sanding and repriming and colour coating I managed to save it.

So once that dried it got another coat of gloss followed by all the decals and then some more gloss to lock the decals in place.

It has this morning had a coat of humbrol matt paint to not make it shiny but aim of today is to start adding all the missiles and fuel tanks.
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 12:40 PM UTC
And here she is all painted, decal'd, gloss coated, matt coated and ready for display. Thanks all for viewing!!

Once again thank you all for viewing
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC
Si,
That's one very nicely built Typhoon.
Joel
SiStorey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC
Thanks Joel, need to get a proper photo booth I do.
 _GOTOTOP