_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Replacing a Missing Ju-52 Wingtip
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
Can anyone suggest a way to fabricate a new wingtip for my Ju-52? There wasn't enough pressure to push the plastic through the mold, and it came out incomplete, as you see in the pic. Next to it is the other upper wing, to show how it's supposed to look. I have a vague idea that I might be able to reproduce the corrugated texture by pressing some kind of putty or something against the other wing. Should I use Milliput for this? I've never used it before. Thanks guys!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
I'd try for a replacement direct from the manufacturer before attempting a fix. That's a BIG chunk of plastic that's missing. Email them a pic and see what they say.
Whose kit is it?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:19 PM UTC
You really have two separate issues to deal with. Replacing the missing wing tip would entail cutting off and squaring up the wing. Trace the good wing tip on sheet plastic sheet thick enough and cut out it out. I would use pins rather then just a butt joint as you're going to be doing a lot of sanding and rescribing, which will put a lot of pressure on the joint. Now sand and file to shape.

The harder part of the repair is rescribing all those recessed lines.

As Stephen said, replacing the wing would be the better option. If the manufacture can replace it, that's the way to go. If it's an older kit, try locating one on ebay.

Joel
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:59 PM UTC
I wrote to Revell, but they said this kit has been discontinued and they have no parts left to send me. There are a few Ju-52s available on eBay, but that would cost me more than I paid for this kit. I'll have to find another solution.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi there

How long ago did you buy it? If Revell won't help, I'd be tempted to go back to the store or the distributor...

If push came to shove and I had to replicate that surface finish, I'd try using the teeth of a saw to produce fine parallel lines.

All the best

Rowan
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
I paid thirty dollars for it at a swap meet! So I'll muddle through, somehow.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:08 AM UTC
Joel is on the right track for making a part . On the defect part cut it off just past the control hinge . With the good wing flip this over on sheet stock and trace this . Cut out sand to shape . Now you can replace the corrugation with strips square stock matching the rest and start gluing these on working your way down the wing tip . Use even fine strips for the finer detail . More sanding will be needed and new hinges will have to be made .

Terri
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 05:28 AM UTC
Battle damage! Cut the end to a ragged shape, glue on some tinfoil and then tear it artistically =)
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thank you for your help, everyone!
 _GOTOTOP