zero paint scheme
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have been searching around trying to find some different paint schemes for the A6M5 zero.
The pic below (according to the site I found this on) is of an M5 zero model. I think this is a cool scheme and am seriously thinking of attempting this one on my 1/32 Tamiya zero.
This may be a really dumb question but here goes.. Do any of you know by chance what group, squadron, etc....this scheme could be from? Or is there any way of ever knowing??
Also the base color is obviously the white/gray and the darker green would be the IJN green.
What color would I use to match the lighter green of the camo?

I see the Rising Sun campaigne has started and I am real sorry to have to bow out on this one. There is just no way I could comfortably get this zero done in the time limits involed. At least, not without feeling rushed and not doing the work on it that I really want to do.

Good modeling,
Wayne
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:14 PM UTC
hello !

I'm no expert, so I'll just give you the little info I know.
At the end of the war, IJN green paint had become rare so some of it was "dilluted" with light gray paint. That way, a light grey-green was obtained.

I haven't seen this paint scheme on japanese navy aircraft yet. But I've seen it on japanese army aircraft often ! Blotches of JA green were painted, with paint pistol or by brush, over the natural aluminium aircraft.
In the navy, it could be over light grey...

I'm sorry, it only leaves you with more questions !
And about rising sun, there's no real time limit !
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 12:35 PM UTC
Thanks penpen for what info you could give me. I was wondering myself if that scheme really was IJ Army or IJ Navy. I don't ever remember seeing an old movie clip, photo, etc..etc... of any naval Zero on board a carrier with a scheme like that at all. It was usually always based on the solid IJN green or the gray/white. I may go back to one of those schemes because I would like to stay fairly authentic to the craft.

I have another question about this for you all.
In this kit all the engine parts are all ready silver plastic. How many of you would still go ahead and paint these parts that need to be metal/aluminum/etc...?

Thanks again and good modeling,
Wayne
modelcitizen62
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 326 posts
AeroScale: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
Dunno if this'll help, but I've seen in-flight photos of this scheme on A6M3's based in the South Pacific area circa 1943, around Rabaul I think. The mottling was more a function of worn paint in the photos, I think. The scheme looked like dark green applied over the standard early-war grey or Am-e-ro

Not sure of which naval air corps, but that shouldn't be too hard to find.

HTH

penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
If I were you, I'd paint the engine.
I'm sorry, I don't know the right color... probably a dark grey or something like that... perhaps gunmetal... try to find some reference !
Yes the IJN green could be very worn-out in some cases.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
Can't help withthe color scheme, but unpainted silver plastic looks like unpainted silver plastic. ALWAYS paint every surface that MAY be seen to the casual observer. Always paint every surface that may be seen be a judge witha flashlight. The only areas I don't paint are hidden behind bulkheads or the interior of completely buttoned up tanks, even then, if there's any chance thet plastic will be seen behind screens or grills, they get a coat of black.
 _GOTOTOP