_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
SATCOM on Kiowa
JoeyKast44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 06:30 AM UTC
Does anyone have pictures or know what the antennas on the tail of the most recent OH-58D in action in a-stan. I've noticed some have the "disco" ball removed and different sensors added. Close up pictures would be appreciated if possible.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 - 05:07 PM UTC
Ys, many have the ALQ-144 "Disco Ball" removed since the threat is not really present and better systems have been introduced. Here is one w/out it.

There are also a couple new antennas on the tailboom. The long one is an FM antenna and the square one is a GPS receiver.

Here is one in A'stan w/SATCOM and no Disco Ball.

And a couple showing all the antennas on the tailboom.

FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 06:23 AM UTC
From front to back. SATCOM, Blue Force antenna and then the GPS antenna. The HF under the tailboom is normally removed.

The new sensors are part of the Common Missile Warning System. It had the ALQ-144 removed. The CMWS is installed on the aft part of the fuselage and on the upper part of the nose. The other thing that may not be visible is the installation of the M-130 Chaff Dispenser under the belly. I have detail photos of all of this stuff. At the time I couldn't share it because it was classified. Now with the retirement I don't think it matters.
Floyd
JoeyKast44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:07 AM UTC
Wow these are really helpful thankyou so much! is the Chaff dispenser visible on the aircraft? I'm really aiming to update one of the 1:35 MRC models to full modern in A-stan.
JoeyKast44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From front to back. SATCOM, Blue Force antenna and then the GPS antenna. The HF under the tailboom is normally removed.

The new sensors are part of the Common Missile Warning System. It had the ALQ-144 removed. The CMWS is installed on the aft part of the fuselage and on the upper part of the nose. The other thing that may not be visible is the installation of the M-130 Chaff Dispenser under the belly. I have detail photos of all of this stuff. At the time I couldn't share it because it was classified. Now with the retirement I don't think it matters.
Floyd

The photos would be helpful if you can dig them up. (if you're allowed)
FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 08:10 PM UTC
Because the aircraft has been retired I don't thing there are any OPSEC issues.

The ALQ-144 was completely removed, including the mount. The CMWS was added to the nose and the area where the tailboom attaches. There was a chaff dispenser mounted on the belly.
Floyd

JoeyKast44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:34 PM UTC
Do you have anymore close ups? sorry to be a pain but I love the detail
FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC
I have a few more but they show the same thing. No additional detail.
 _GOTOTOP