_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
remove small fragile parts from sprue
Battleship_Al
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:24 AM UTC
What is the best way to remove small fragile parts from the sprue? I am tired of the parts breaking and having to fix them. Is a fine razor saw the best tool for the job?
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 04:44 AM UTC
Since I been using a pair of Italeri side-cutters I have found small parts easy to remove whole from the sprue and even for trimming. Doesn't matter if the plastic is hard or soft.

Cheers

Karl.
Battleship_Al
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:15 AM UTC
Thanks Karl, I will get a pair. I picked up a couple of Wingnut Wings kits and want to do them the justice they deserve.
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:50 AM UTC
I have both, and much prefer the razor saw for real fine fragile pieces.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 05:56 PM UTC
Believe me, I sense your pain and frustration with snapping small parts in an effort to remove them from the sprue trees. I've tried everything I could think of, and a fine bladed saw is the best method.

The trick is to support one side of the part so that it doesn't snap back and break or bend. Also, use as little pressure as possible on the blade, just making light even passes, that really helps.
Joel
Battleship_Al
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC
I have some of those saw blades that look like No. 11 X-Acto blades. I will give those a shot when I get back to the work bench.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some of those saw blades that look like No. 11 X-Acto blades. I will give those a shot when I get back to the work bench.

I'm not too sure just how fine those blades are. I use fine saw blades that I purchased from Sprue Brothers.

Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
Often, the fragile parts break because they are caught on two sides in between sprue that is more solid than the part that is in between.

When cutting the sprue remains in place and the fragile part has to give away to the thickness of the cutting blades.

One trick that I use often is to cut one end of the sprue free before cutting the fragile part. This way the sprue can move away freely without putting pressure on the part
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One trick that I use often is to cut one end of the sprue free before cutting the fragile part. This way the sprue can move away freely without putting pressure on the part

+1

You can also use a heated blade on parts that prove to be brittle. A lot of DML's older kits were like this. Using the heated blade will eliminate the snapping or bending action of the part. Afterward, clean up with a file.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Often, the fragile parts break because they are caught on two sides in between sprue that is more solid than the part that is in between.

When cutting the sprue remains in place and the fragile part has to give away to the thickness of the cutting blades.

I've tried the cutting of the sprue trees with limited success, and still rely on a fine saw blade. Never heard of heating a knife blade before, but it sounds like a easier and quicker method then the saw. Going to give it a try.
Joel
PatrickG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 07:43 AM UTC
I'm about to start on a Tamiya 1/48 Storch (not sure if the brand/kit makes a big difference), and I'm hoping to get through it with a stack of exacto blades, a zippo, and a pair of surgically sharp swiss army knife scissors.
The work surface will be a large square of cork board, or perhaps cardboard.
Am I being naive or will that be a workeable (if not ideal) set-up?
FWIW this is my first model since I was a kid, and unconcerned with/having parental help for the most difficult cuts.
 _GOTOTOP