_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
1/35 CMK UH-1D detail sets-comparison photos
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:46 AM UTC
I thought I had lost these photos. Unfortunately time doesn't permit me to do a formal review so the pictures will have to speak for themselves.

Here are the sets I purchased:
CMK6005 1:35 CMK UH-1D Huey Interior Set
CMK6006 1:35 CMK UH-1D Huey Cargo Bay Set
CMK6007 1:35 CMK UH-1D Huey Nose Luggage Compartment

photo IMG_8295_zps0456e81e.jpg

These are the parts in the cargo bay set.
 photo IMG_8296_zpsieoubj6b.jpg

photo IMG_8297_zpshvn1ixtx.jpg

photo IMG_8298_zpsm3bn5nkk.jpg

photo IMG_8299_zpsfl0yrqs9.jpg

photo IMG_8300_zpsswpawl9e.jpg

photo IMG_8301_zpspbomd7gt.jpg

photo IMG_8302_zpswnflevpz.jpg

photo IMG_8303_zps6u9cwlrv.jpg

photo IMG_8304_zpsygqiyn1g.jpg

photo IMG_8305_zpsmkvy9yoq.jpg

photo IMG_8306_zpslnqcgja2.jpg

photo IMG_8308_zpswtrnnjym.jpg
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 07:50 AM UTC
Here are the parts from the "interior" set.

photo IMG_8309_zpsjp3sg2am.jpg

photo IMG_8310_zpsbmqfq8ak.jpg

photo IMG_8311_zpszctubnkk.jpg

photo IMG_8312_zpsqhedc5fo.jpg

photo IMG_8313_zpszkhufd5d.jpg

photo IMG_8314_zpsnftufigg.jpg

photo IMG_8315_zpsipgosrvl.jpg

photo IMG_8316_zpsnemdlfvd.jpg

You'll need to remove the areas marked in red on the Dragon roof to get the ceiling to fit.
 photo IMG_8317_zpsniycgngx.jpg
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 08:06 AM UTC
A few quick thoughts....

Overall I thought the sets were worth the money. The instructions left a lot to be desired, have your references handy.

The smaller cargo doors were too thin and didn't come with any provisions for the glass. They also didn't match the contours of the body. If the version you're modeling has them, I'd opt for the Dragon doors.

The doors for the pilot and co-pilot were a tad too small. Not a problem if you're going to model them open. However, you'll see some gaps if you model them closed.

CMK basically has you cut out the doors as well as part of the door frame. They include resin replacement parts for the door frame. I was able to carefully scribe and remove the door leaving the frame intact. This will add some strength to an already flimsy area when building it up.

The seats are missing some of their bracing.

The two outer seat supports are little more than a cast rod. Forget the cleanup and use some Evergreen rod.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 02:56 PM UTC
Overall the sets look ok to me. The troop seats don't look right though. In your first pic of the rear-facing seat, the resin one is all wrong. The kit seat is the correct type. The same for the smaller gunner seats. The kit ones are basically right, they need some cross-supports added to the legs, but are the correct type. The vertical support rods are more correct in the kit too, just too thick. I am not sure the CMK sets are worth it. I prefer the Cobra Company resin and Eduard PE sets.
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 11:34 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Gino, that’s good info regarding the seats. Admittedly, my knowledge and reference materials on the subject matter are somewhat sparse so I can’t comment on the accuracy. Shame they're not quite correct.

I haven’t seen or used the Eduard or Cobra Company updates for the UH-1.

I'd always wondered what was included in the CMK sets and thought other would like to see too.
CharlieBravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:24 PM UTC
I've been wondering what this set looks like. Quite nice but a fair few inaccuaracies.

Do you happen to have a pic of the Photo-etched Instrument Panel? That could make it worth the money.

Chris
sherb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been wondering what this set looks like. Quite nice but a fair few inaccuaracies.

Do you happen to have a pic of the Photo-etched Instrument Panel? That could make it worth the money.

Chris

I'm starting to get a little bummed out over the inaccuracies.

Looks like I forgot to photograph the instrument panel and pedals. I'll see if I can dig those parts out and get a couple shots.

The CMK kit does not include any photo-etch and for that reason you'll need to have the Dragon kit rather than the earlier Panda boxing. You'll also need the PE from the Dragon kit for the four footrests/pedals (?) that extend from the front of the cockpit floor. You can see what I mean in the first photo of the "interior" set.
 _GOTOTOP