_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Painting the canopy of the Tamiya 1/32Corsair
BradSidley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:37 AM UTC
Can someone offer advise please, I am just about to paint the canopy of my Tamiya 1/32 Corsair F4U -1A. The instruction say to use the masking tape then to first paint the outside with interior colour then to paint with fuselage colour, this seems very confusing?
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Brad,
By painting the interior colour first you'll see this as you look into the cockpit as the canopy is clear plastic. 😊
This will save you masking the inside of the canopy which would be a massive pain in the butt.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC
Brad,
The larger the scale, the easier it is for the viewer to see more of the details, especially the cockpit and its canopy/windscreen. As Paul said, the framing in most cases tends to end up being the same color as the fuselage. By 1st painting it the interior or proper color, the end effect is it will have to proper color when viewed from the inside.

The only issue is that the framing is just paint as viewed through the canopy, not as the frame. For that, you would have to mask and paint the interior 1st. Done correctly it looks tremendous. But it's not easy to do. Hence, it's rarely done.

Joel
BradSidley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 - 03:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys that is some good advice. I guess the other trick here is that Tamiya do not reccomend applying lacquer paints over enamel/acrylic paint, am I best to mix the equivalent enamel /acrylic to get the same result as the spray AS8? The interior colour is XF1. Also judging by what you saying is that trying to paint the inside of the canopy is a no no without stencils?
 _GOTOTOP