_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Eduard's Limited Edition A-4E/F boxing
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:29 PM UTC
A few days ago I received my Eduard Limited edition Vietnam Scooter kit in 1/48 scale. I usually don't open the box up until I'm ready to start researching the kit as my next build, but in this case I was curious to see exactly what was, and what wasn't in the box, so I decided to open up the box and see exactly what's in it for $70. Remember that the current available Hasegawa kit which costs less then $30 at Sprue Brothers. The kit is bagged with all the plastic sprues in one bag, and the clear parts in a smaller bag inside the main bag, which seams to indicate that the kit comes from Hasegawa pre-bagged. Eduard prints their own box, adds a package of 2 pcs of PE, with a multi piece IP that is painted flat black, which I believe is wrong as it should be a darker gray with black instruments. A full Cartograf decal sheet designed by Furball with almost no stenciling. There is 6 USAF aircraft to choose from, 3 of each type. The problem is that you don't get enough national insignias to do a 2nd aircraft, so what's the point if you decide to buy a 2nd Hasegawa kit. You will still need to use their insignias or buy another decal sheet of better quality. I would have much preferred to see a nicely done stencil sheet instead, and fewer decal options. The Academy 1/48 scale F4 series is a perfect example. The Brassin seat is nicely done with separate cushions. The 3 pc intake fans/tube/exhaust are the kit parts, not the AM parts that Eduard makes for $15. Same for the wheels which Eduard sells for $10, but you have a choice of the correct wheels for each version.

Since all my models are display models in cases, the viewer would only see the model from a foot or two away, which is why I don't really care about the cockpit that much, no one ever sees it. My goal has always been for the best display model I can build.

The kit is way over priced for what you get, or should I say also don't get. I'm debating if I really want to spend another $25 or not. Somehow I still can't justify spending $100 for basically a $30 Hasegawa kit. While I'm a big fan of Eduard's current releases, I'm done buying any of their limited run kits with other manufacture's plastic.

I still have their Danger Zone F-14A for $140 seating on the shelf to be built sooner then later.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP