_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
VIDEO
Unboxing Tamiya's 1/32 Mosquito
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 08:59 AM UTC
Jim gives us a look at the soon on shelves Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito FB Mk.VI which is sure to be a premier kit to build this year.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
AeroScale: 385 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:06 AM UTC
WOW......I like. Where's my napkin I'm drooling!

See ya in the funnies..............
sighbeerguy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 11:31 AM UTC
Do you have a clue - even a vague one, on what you are reviewing ?
Herbilicious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
^^^ Wow. That seems unwarranted. ^^^
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC
Jim, Please accept my thanks for your review. I realize you receive no compensation for taking your time to get this information disseminated so again, thank you. I'm not familiar with members submitting caustic or disparaging comments so perhaps this will either be an anomaly or addressed by the publisher. This is after all, just a hobby intended for fun. Take care. Jim
MakingModelsAgain
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:53 AM UTC
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm about to do a video review on a MiG-29 and other than they go fast and have a pointy bit at the front, I know very little else about jets. I'm reviewing the model kit, not the plane. To be honest, I prefer it when a human does the review, not an encyclopedia.
Lionfish
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 03:45 PM UTC
Jim thanks for taking the time to review what IMOH is a milestone kit. To me the kit is a lot of money for a hobby, however seeing the sprues in all their glory makes a decision a bit easier.The review met my needs in this case and i am sure that it will be really useful to a lot of other modellers.

I can only assume that you are giving one of the only negative comments on this site the lack of attention it deserves. Thanks again.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
I SOOOO want that kit!!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
I haven't seen Jim's video review as yet of Tamiya's fantastic Mosquito.

Personally, I'm very selective as to what reviews I do read or view. What I'm looking for is someone I know or know of their previous work, and whose actually built the model being reviewed, or at least dry fitted the major components.

I'm not a rivet counter, so I really don't care if a model is a mm or two from the given dimensions. What I'm most concerned about is fit, and how the overall model looks when completed. The amount of detail that's in the kit, the quality and accuracy of the decals, as well as who made them, and the clarity of the instructions as today's larger scale kits are quite complex.

None of what I'm looking for requires any 1st hand knowledge of the subject nor aircraft of a particular era, but it does require a certain level of modeling expertise. A super detailed kit, that does in fact closely represent the actual aircraft being modeled is what we all are looking for. But if it's a nightmare to build because of poor fitting parts, I would certainly think twice about purchasing the kit, especially at the rather high price of today's kits.

Joel

ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 10:28 PM UTC
Really drooling over this kit... The only bad thing about the review is the part about it not being released in Japan for another 3 months, since I have mine on pre-order from HLJ...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi there

Wow - it does look every bit as gorgeous as I'd expected!

I always find Jim's casual and slightly irreverent presentation refreshing. I'm lucky enough to get to chat with him on the phone - and this is just his natural good humoured manner. I applaud him for being able to maintain that on video, because in the course of a 25+ year career as a video editor, I wasted countless hours cutting around the points where highly paid celebrities completely "corpsed" when faced with a camera! Talking at all in such circumstances is often a challenge - and coming across naturally is a gift.

Hopefully Jim is reading this - because I'll repeat what I already told him: Just for once, treat yourself! Don't pass this beauty on to another reviewer - build this one yourself. You deserve it!

Quoted Text

Really drooling over this kit... The only bad thing about the review is the part about it not being released in Japan for another 3 months, since I have mine on pre-order from HLJ...

I see that as a plus point - it gives me a chance to start saving.

All the best

Rowan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have a clue - even a vague one, on what you are reviewing ?

Dude... Chillax... Have another beer.

As for this video. It's not really a review from my pov. It's more of an unboxing/photo highlights.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good and bad I can take it. I am sort of use to remarks like Andrew's on YouTube so seeing it here was a bit of a change, but yeah I get that some people feel that only 'certain' modelers should be doing reviews of this level of kit. To them I say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

Cheers,
Jim
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 09:32 AM UTC
Just wanna say thanks for all your reviews, unboxings, or any info that can steer me to a kit I want, or a kit I want to avoid.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 11:38 AM UTC
Clearly some have missed the point that this was a video of the unboxing of the kit and as such really just showing what is included. If you know the Mossie (I'll get back to that in a minute ) and the quality of Tamiya's 1/32 scale kits You don't even need to see this. I started to watch out of curiosity of Andrews remark but I have one on order so I didn't want to see the contents. I watched to where you were confused as to why Mossie wasn't spelled using "ZZ". I did actually say to my screen, "because its English" Sorry Jim, I'm smiling about it now as it makes me realise (spelling ) why every word that we (English) would spell with an "S", you Americans use a "zed" sorry "zee"

I do think that the production of your video's are quality though and wholeheartedly agree with Rowan. Thanks for the chance to see this kit Jim but I will wait until I can pick up my own
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 02:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I see that as a plus point - it gives me a chance to start saving.

Well, already have money put away for it... But I guess I could save up for all after market parts that probably will be released by then...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am sort of use to remarks like Andrew's on YouTube so seeing it here was a bit of a change, but yeah I get that some people feel that only 'certain' modelers should be doing reviews of this level of kit. To them I say... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim

You know we're all polite and well-behaved here on Aeroscale. Bryan set the tone for us propeller-heads when we were still a part of the original Armorama, and we still try to live up to his standards.

I've never heard that track before. I think the Foo Fighters could have a bit of fun doing a cover. I can almost hear Dave Grohl letting rip on it once his leg's healed.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 05:38 PM UTC
Jim, great video as always. As some others have stated, it's an unboxing, not a build review or a comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the kit.

Some folks really do take themselves too seriously! I think the Eagles track nailed it!

For those interested, here's one of my favourite tracks and in my opinion it pretty much sums up how our partners (and sometimes ourselves) see our stash and amassed tools/paint/reference material . . . .enjoy.

Turn it up

Cheers, D
squidgy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 05:58 AM UTC
hi jim Great review, i have a question that is not related to the video, but how is that light/magnifier as i am in the market for one, eyes aren't as good as they used to be, thanks
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:29 PM UTC
Another great unboxing video Jim! I agree with all of the POSITIVE comments above (as well as Rowan's urging you to build one yourself now and then!), although I do kind of side with Mal that if it's a Tamiya 1/32 kit, I already know it's going to be fantastic.

Mine's finally on the way and boy am I looking forward to it!

Keep up the great work Jim, and thanks for everything you do for us!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP