_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Eduard P-47
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
After multiple attempts to get images in this post, which hopefully were never seen I believe I know how to do this.

I just completed Eduard's P-47. This is my first attempt at going beyond whats in the box. The decals are from BarracudaCals Hell Hawks set, the oil cooler shutters were replaced with brass sheet, and the gun barrels with brass tubing.

Russ

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 05:05 AM UTC
Nicely done !

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:25 AM UTC
Russ,
A most impressive build with an outstanding NMF. Just one question, those sheet metal replacements for the air cooler vent doors. Did you make them, or are they available as after market parts?
Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:09 AM UTC
Very neat work, lovely finish on the NMF and those shutters really look great.

Cheers, D
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:19 AM UTC
Niiiiice!
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,
A most impressive build with an outstanding NMF. Just one question, those sheet metal replacements for the air cooler vent doors. Did you make them, or are they available as after market parts?
Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the kind words. I followed you lead in cutting out the cooler vent doors and then used them as a form for thin sheet brass. There was a lot of trial and error to get them to fit correctly. Once glued in I added a strip of plastic between the doors and added rivets from Archer Transfers. I liked the way the BarracudaCals decal settled down over the NMF. Your P-47 inspired me to pull this one out of the closet and start it. Ever think you will complete yours?

Russ
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russ,
Joel

Joel,

Thanks for the kind words. I followed you lead in cutting out the cooler vent doors and then used them as a form for thin sheet brass. There was a lot of trial and error to get them to fit correctly. Once glued in I added a strip of plastic between the doors and added rivets from Archer Transfers. I liked the way the BarracudaCals decal settled down over the NMF. Your P-47 inspired me to pull this one out of the closet and start it. Ever think you will complete yours?

Russ

Russ,
I'm even more impressed that you made them. Simply outstanding craftsmanship. I made mine for plastic sheet, and it was a real trial and error process that was just so so at best.

Honestly, that build will most likely remain on the shelf of doom. However, I do have both /48 scale Tamiya Jug kits that I want to build this winter. Just need a AM decal sheet when the time comes, and I'm set to go.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP