_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Edaurd F6F-5 Hellcat
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 12:18 AM UTC
W.I.P.

Kit: Eduard 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat. The base coat consists of Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue. A lighter shade of the case coat was applied in between the panels to create the shaded panel line. After a gloss coat of Future was applied, I used highly thinned black & burnt umber for the panel lines. Everything was then sealed with several coats of matte varnish. The next step will be pigments for the exhaust and dirty wheels.

Thanks for watching,

Hermann.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 04:01 AM UTC
It looks very muddy grey in these picks, but the blue does come out in some of your other pics back on your bucket page. Is this an effect of your lighting (lamp) for the pics?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hermann,
A most impressive well worn operational F6F-5 Hellcat. It certainly shows the effects of the humid tropical air and sea spray.

I do see Carl's point that the faded paint shows almost no sign of a Bluish tint. I did checkout your Photobucket page, and the glossy pictures are definitely Sea Blue. What I think may be the issue is that the Matt varnish dried slightly cloudy. Whose clear Matt Varnish did you use?

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 02:08 PM UTC
I like it!!
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. The lighting might have had something to do with the hue of blue but not by much. I used AK Interactive ultra matte finish to give it an extreme matte look which did lighten the tone of blue considerably and to my satisfaction. I also took the kit outside to take some of the pix again but in direct sunlight (infortunately it is a bit cloudy here in "sunny" South Florida.

Sorry for the quality of the pix...photography is not one of my strong points.

Thanks again for watching,

Hermann.
cnq007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC
very very nice build.
Below is my Eduard Hellcat taken with flash. You could clearly see the dark blue sea camo.

_GOTOTOP