_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
REVIEW
F-16 Control Stick in 1:1
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 03:47 AM UTC
Jim gives us a look at this Verlinden 1:1 control stick from the F-16 in resin.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 08:10 AM UTC
Jim,
That's an interesting and unique subject. However, I've rebuilt enough of the real things to not want to build a model of one. Just watching this video brought back too many bad memories of wrestling with wiring harnesses and fighting with that @#$& spring that holds the Cannon plug in place.

But seriously, for those who do want a life-size replica of a Viper Side Stick--this is a case where real-life might collide with the hobby world: The engraved lettering seen in the video (describing each of the switches) needs to be filled in with some kind of white material. Oddly enough this is not covered in the official tech data. Some F-16 Avionics Intermediate Shops (AIS) prefer to use White Out. Although we found the best method was to go to the base bowling alley and purchase a Bowling Ball Lettering Stick. Its a waxy, Crayon type of material that can be rubbed into the engraving and then the excess wiped off. Simple, easy, and cheap.

A bit of trivia for ya: as the F-16 matured from A/B to C/D (Block 1 to Block 52+) more and more switches were added to the Side Stick as its functionality increased. This kit looks to be a Block 40/50 model.

Looking forward to seeing it built!

Keith
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Keith

You sound like absolutely the most qualified person to review the kit! (Even though it might bring back too many memories for comfort...)

All the best

Rowan
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 09:31 AM UTC
Rowan,
Perhaps not...I'm either getting old, losing it, or both.
I got to thinking about it, and there was a later version with yet another added switch, this one positioned on the left side protruding at an angle whereto the pilot's thumb could rest on it and manipulate the button. So this kit version must be a slightly older Block 25/30.

Mere curiosity: but how does one go about throwing their hat in the ring to do a review, and then obtaining a kit?

Keith
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi Keith

It's really as simple as just asking. Any Kitmaker member can be a reviewer - and we always encourage fresh talent - but the best way to make sure you're in with a reasonable chance of getting a sample kit for review is to write a few reviews of things you've bought first. That way, Staffers can judge your writing style and if you can provide suitable photos etc. I'd also suggest to any new reviewer to keep requests modest until you've established a reputation for reliability.

All the best

Rowan
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 - 08:29 AM UTC
Interesting. I own a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS which is an exact replica of a Block 52 stick and throttle.

Unlike the Verlinden kit, I can use mine while flying SEAD missions over Iran with Open Falcon 4.7 on my PC.
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 02:38 AM UTC
It seems that this item has been around for at least two years. But hey, if I haven't heard about it before, it's news to me.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 04:22 AM UTC
That HOTAS setup would come in handy for Falcon 4.0!
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 04:31 AM UTC
To further hijack this thread--I have a real F-16 throttle grip...as part of a going plaque.

As well as a -16 WAC HUD DU combiner glass. Too bad someone went and ruined it with that etching.

Keith
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That HOTAS setup would come in handy for Falcon 4.0!

Gilman Louie and his development team were geniuses. This is a 17 year old flight sim which was way ahead of its time in 1998. To date, no other flight sim has come remotely close to even equaling it. No game/sim designers have anything that approaches the dynamic campaign engine used in F4. There are activities, independent of what you are doing within the game bubble, but, all have an effect on the outcome of a campaign/mission. Nothing is preset; and, that is the beauty of it. Random actions combining together to create a realistic outcome. Download and add Open Falcon 4.7 ( Free Falcon 5 is also good) to the original Microprose Falcon 4.0. The realism is unbelievable. Everything in the cockpit works, putting all of the HOTAS controls to good use. The learning curve is pretty steep, especially if you opt for a by the book cold startup. If you use F4Browse and tacedit, you can really go to town modifying weapons loads and mission parameters. Ever wonder what airburst from a B-61 nuke dropped from a Viper looks like?
Headhunter506
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To further hijack this thread--I have a real F-16 throttle grip...as part of a going plaque.

As well as a -16 WAC HUD DU combiner glass. Too bad someone went and ruined it with that etching.

Keith

Super niiiiiiiice! To bad about the etched HUD glass, though.
 _GOTOTOP